E-P5 Activation Sound

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by daum, Jul 17, 2013.

1. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Everytime my E-P5 turns on or off, I get this almost shutter like sound and a hard mechanical vibration. Similar to the EM-5 but more aggressive. Anyone else notice this?
  2. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Same happens here. It must be the the sensor returning to its place because the OMD/EP5 IBIS works like that, the sensor kind of floats. But maybe I'm wrong and it has to do with the new shutter as the OMd doesn't make that sound. Or maybe it does but the weather sealing flattens it.
  3. bluejudas

bluejudas New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2013
    I think this is normal... my is also making sound both when powered on and off.
    When the power is off I can actually shake the sensor around. This happens if I gently shake the camera. It was my girl friend that discovered this by just handling the camera normally. Hope this want be a problem when the camera is in a bag and I am in a small boat or on a snowmobile.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the hard mechanical vibration is probably the dust removal shake of the sensor. A shaking camera means it is doing it's job.
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The shutter like sound is quite likely the aperture blades going through a reset cycle on start up & powering down, but also the IBIS goes through its routine & also a small hum can be heard which might be the ultrasonic vibrations to shake the dust off the sensor. On Olympus DSLR bodies, powering down with the IBIS set to ON (IS1 etc.), it would vibrate quite noticeably, so your E-P5 is just doing what it is designed to do & sounds fine.
  6. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Can't say I've notice that on my Pen 5. It is instant and silent when switching on and off.