1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bill Gordon, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

According to what I have read here and in other forums the new camera is considered a "Pro" camera...so......why isn't it being marketed with a "body only" price. Most Oly E-P1 and 2 owners already have the 14-52 plus the 17mm pancake which makes an additional lens superfluous. I find this hard to take and wonder if anyone else has come up with this thought. All the DSLR line of Olympus cameras had a "body only" price so why not the mu4/3rds?

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    This is my thinking and my thinking alone ...

Olympus (like most camera manufacturers) will release camera plus lens kits first, because they know there are many people who will not be able to wait for the body only kit. Thus, Oly will make some extra $$$. If they release the body only options, they will miss out on the sale of some lenses.

On the other hand, the 14-42 that comes with the EP3 apparently will auto focus faster on the EP3 than either the original 14-42 or the 14-42 mk. II.

As far as I know, there's no change to the 17mm though.

3. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    At least in the part of the world where I live the E-P3 will be able to be bought as body only. The E-P3 is also no pro camera.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's not a pro camera. Read the description on the Olympus website. They say things like "professional image quality" but never claim it's a professional camera. I remember the press release said it was for "enthusiasts and serious photographers". Olympus has always claimed the pro pen is coming in a year or two. I seriously doubt any significant number of pros would make the E-P3 or even m43 in general their only system. As a second camera, sure. I know a number of photographers that have a compact P&S to accompany their DSLR when the need arises, so why not an EVIL camera?

5. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My guess is you'll see the body only option a couple months after the kit has hit the market.

6. magicianhisoka

magicianhisoka Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Could simply be a marketing technique. Most Pros wouldn't have problems unloading the lens or affording to keep it either.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've gotten a new kit lens with every PEN body I've purchased so far, and have managed to sell each one so far, even though I had kept each one for a while before selling them in case I needed them for something (for instance, I was going to keep the 14-42mm MSC for video, and I thought the original 14-42mm was pretty unique in its retractable design). When I was buying E-System DSLR bodies, I would sometimes get kit lenses with the entry-level DSLRs (ie, like the E-510), which I would also sell off eventually. At one time I had actually bought the 40-150mm kit lens from a family member (since I only had the shorter kit lens), then sold it back to her for less than I paid, lol. At least I got to experience the lens for a while, and that was well worth the tiny bit of money lost.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I reckon it's because they want to show off it's fast new autofocus, hence the new kit lens (we up to MkIV yet?)