E-P3 with the 12mm Oly

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CarlB, Jul 26, 2011.

1. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

25JUL2011 -

Very fun to shoot! The 12mm's manual switch-over on the lens ring works a charm, and it really feels like manual focus should. :smile:

Extraordinarily fast on the E-P3. I set most cameras up for 1/8 second delay to deaden most vibrations before taking the shot, and still this pair was just "snap!" - focused and taken. Nice assured "shut!" sound on shutter actuation.

Also set up noise reduction one step lighter than normal. Tried some shots with the camera deciding the settings ("P") mode, some where I chose the aperture (f2.0) and let the camera choose the rest. The often resulting 1/4000 shutter was sometimes a bit too slow in the sunlight at noon for f2.0, but nothing blown-out. Others were manual focus, which ended up being "go for the smallest focal distance, and see how close to move the lens and still keep the subject in focus."

One thing for macro and this lens - choose the tightest (single point, center) focus grab. I went with the nine point square, and most of the time the camera was deciding something else was more worthy of focus than my subject.

As you can see with some of these on flickr, the 12mm isn't too bad at macro - you just have to get "up-close and personal."

E-P3 and 12mm F2.0 - a set on Flickr

26JUL2011 -

The new menu system is a big improvement. Arranged in much the same way as before (could be worse), however each selection has an instant explanation. Something even I can understand, heh. No more, "oh, gee, there's the the 'three-dots' option," or "which stacked squares are which?" Once you get used to what they do, you can turn the explanations off - although I don't find them in the way at all. You do have to "unhide" a few of the more useful menus at first, no big deal. Also, the visuals that have been put in are very good. With the 12mm mounted, an on-screen version of the camera has that lens on it - complete with the front bezel text.

The on-screen settings overlays are familiar, and still a bit annoying to get right. At least without reading the manual, which is "how I roll," heh! I try to bring the exposure down a few "ev," and instead I get the "multi-shot and timed shutter" bit at the bottom. A bit like a booger on the finger that won't flick off, that. Readily recoverable with a press of the "[>]" button, but annoying.

I had pre-set the camera to the "inner-nine-box auto-focus and exposure" pattern before going on the first shoot. Thought that might be good for catching fast moving subjects. Unfortunately, in the field I found the camera to willing to "find" everything but my subject to focus on. So I spent a few seconds trying to get that down to the "just focus on the exact center of the screen, you little ..." setting. In-field and first time out, I gave up - it was just down too far off one of those menus, and I couldn't remember which one. So that hasn't improved. Luckily, the 12mm switches to manual focus in a most elegant way, so I just went with that - a very nice experience.

I'll have to take the 12mm off the E-P3 for a test today (that will be difficult, they go very well together). See how the E-P3 does with four-thirds legacy glass. Mostly, I want to see how it does with the Panny-Leica 14-150mm - that hunka-hunka-smokin' telephoto zoom. The optical performance on it can't be beat (for the range), and I like the in-lens stabilization for long-reach manual focus visual. It's like a mini steady-cam. But it's been ... "stately" auto-focus speed on the E-PL1 and E-PL2. Let's see if the E-P3 can get the old girl up to a 'power-walk.'

Quick update on the four-thirds focus. For the Pana-Leica 14-150mm four-thirds lens with Lumix DMW-MA1 adapter, the E-P3 definitely "hits" the target without in and out searching much more often than the E-PL1. When the focus is found "first-try" with either lens, the E-P3 is still a bit faster. Conditions were dim room, 150mm, focus object about 8 feet away, not too bad of contrasts to lock onto. Typical "hit the first time" press-til-focused splits were the better part of a second for the E-P3. About a second for the E-PL1. The "missed, and keep searching" is a lot less for the E-P1, which is more important for these. Perhaps 1 out of five for the E-P3 verses two or three out of five for the E-PL1. This was for adjusting focus point among the same four or five reference points for the subject with either camer.

• Like Like x 8
  2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

That is a very cool Daliesque image! I also love that other one on your Flickr stream that shows him flying in a whirling dervish of flowers approaching the bergamot! Love them both, CarlB!

4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Heh! Thanks BBW - I think you captured what's wonderfully weird about the pic perfectly. When I saw it I thought, "folks will think I photo-shopped it." It is cool though, and of course a mishap - the bee took-off right as I was set for the photo. "Dang!" "Oh. Well, OK ..."

And thanks Kal-El, glad you followed the link - I'll have to figure out how to get links of images to appear in posts.