1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P3 with Super FP Flash - 1/4000? Wireless?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjhcom, Aug 3, 2011.

1. tjhcom

tjhcom New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2011
    Based on my research, with the right flash (ex. FL-36R), the E-P3 should be able to sync 1/4000 in Super FP mode. I used to use this technique with my OM-4 for great daytime portraits using a wide-open aperture. I would like to do this with my new E-P3 (once I purchase the additional flash). Can anyone please confirm this works?

In addition, in reading the manual, it appears that Super FP mode can be used with a wireless flash as well. Assuming the answer to the above question is 'yes', can anyone please confirm whether or not Super FP mode (and, in particular, high-speed sync) works if the external flash is wireless?

Thanks!

Tom

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I cannot speak specifically to the E-P3, but with other Olympus cameras (E-420, E-620, E-5, E-PL2 and others) that include the Super FP feature, Super FP mode will fire the flash wirelessly __if you use an Olympus "R" suffix flash__ (the FL-36R or FL-50R).

The E-P3's manual seems to indicate that it will do the same (and I'd be very surprised if it didn't). But, sorry, I don't have the camera to test that statement. I have used the cameras noted above in this way, though I've never needed a shutter speed of 1/4000 with them.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the beneit of 1/4000 sync shutter speed? Is that the flash can fire quick and bright enough for such a high shutter speed?

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The flash duration is longer, so the flash illumination starts before the shutter opens and quenched after the shutter is closed.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's so you can fire the flash above the normal flash sync speed of the camera without getting the black bands that normally result if normal flash mode is used. The flash will either strobe or illuminate constantly to allow this. This will let you shoot with a high shutter speed and wider aperture with, for example, fill flash. The downside is that the range of the flash is drastically reduced.

Gordon