E-P3 vs GX1 -- talk to me

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by demiro, May 22, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Who has used both of these cameras? I'd love to read some compare and contrast type comments. They have both become relative bargains on the used market since the arrival of the E-M5, and I'm pretty sure I will upgrade to one of them from the E-PM1.

Thanks!

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I have never tried the GX1 but I do own an E-p3 and love it. I owned a panasonic GF1 for a very short time and I didn't enjoy it at all but then again others in this forum seem to like it. I also owned the GH2 for a short time and didn't like the images I was getting compared to my Oly E-P2 I had so I ended up trading it in this forum for my E-P3. I would say if you are happy with your Oly E-PM1 and enjoy the Olympus colors I would just make the upgrade to the E-P3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you do a lot of low light, the GX1 has a huge sensor advantage.

Personally, I don't see the EP3 as a significant upgrade over the EPM1. Same (outdated) sensor, and only 1 (more like 1/2) generation of processing.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The E-P3 is great..... I feel like it's darn close to the OMD....people can say what they want to about the sensor, but in real life shooting, it was a joy. I've never shot with the GX, but I loved the gf1 and while I don't care for the looks of the GX, I'm sure it's a great camera, too.

I actually think that even though they're pretty different, they're pretty similar. Any other features you can use to differentiate them? Do you like to shoot video? Is in-body stabilzation important? Do you like to play with old lenses. Are you a JPEGer or a RAW shooter?

Need more info.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've had both the EPM1 and the EP3. There's little difference outside of ergonomics and controls. Additionally, the EPM1 can do things like 5.5fps and fit in your pocket. If the upgrade is targeting better IQ, then I think the GX1 would be better fit. Personally, I'm sitting on EPM1s for the new Pens.

6. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Some video - not a major priority though. Some legacy glass, but again, not a priority. I do like Oly JPEGs, but it seems like the GX1 can be tweaked to get close. I'd rather skip RAW. I like the idea of better low light, as I do shoot a lot in the house with marginal lighting.

I was a fan of the GF1 as well, but honestly neither the GX1 nor the E-P3 wowed me initially.

7. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm definitely thinking about ergonomics and controls. I intended the E-PM1 to be more of an occasional use camera, but it has convinced me to make :43: my primary system and just do DSLR for fast action. Given that I will use the camera more I would appreciate the direct controls, touch screen and added size. I'd potentially add the 25/1.4, which I tried but felt was just too big for the E-PM1.

I could wait for the next new PEN with upgraded sensor, but I won't want to pay for it I'm sure :).

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the G3 is the ugly duckling of the whole format, but might be the camera you're looking for (without even looking for it)....and they're even cheaper.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would buy the E-P3 because then you can use the same accessories as your E-PM1. Buy the VF-2 viewfinder for manual focus and shooting in bright light, and get the EMA-1 3.5mm stereo mic adapter for shooting video. You can use these all interchangeably between both your PEN Mini and your PEN.

Your GH1 on the other hand, has no accessories which you can share with the GX-1. The only worthwhile accessory for the GX-1 is the LVF-2 viewfinder, but it can currently only be used on the GX1 and no other camera (of course, we can assume it'll work on the successors to the GX line down the road). PEN accessories on the other hand, will work on all PEN and OM-D cameras alike.

I like my cameras to work as a fully interchangeable system. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd just save your money and get an E-M5 down the road. :wink:

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    What Jonathan said ... while Ned's comments are applicable, I wouldn't purchase a general use camera based solely upon accessories.

G

12. wishlf

wishlf New to Mu-43

May 21, 2012
    +1 I'm torn between GX1 and EP3 as well

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    GX1 for me. It has better high-iso capabilities. That alone will swing me to it.

14. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Had one, and I agree with your ugly duckling take. Really didn't like it. Only camera I've owned that I just did not want to use. Kind of strange, as I am fine with the GH1 and it's not hugely different, but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  15. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, I'm not keeping the E-PM1, so interchangability is not a plus either way I guess. And I'm keeping the GH1 for other reasons, so efficiency will likely be sacrificed to some degree.

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    While I've never handled a GX1, the photos of it show a grip design similar to the G3. I found the G3 grip to be difficult to abide, and I moved on. If the ergonomics work for you, however, I'm sure the GX1 would be an excellent choice.

I have the E-PM1 and E-P3. Unexpectedly, I've found them Mini to be more fun to operate than its more fully featured sibling. Maybe it's just that the E- P3 has so many controls...still trying to sort that out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, this makes sense. Best of both worlds between GX1 and E-P3. I can go E-M5 now if I want to; I just don't want to :wink:. I can pick up an E-P3 (refurb) for around $450. Used GX1s for a bit less. Hard to justify more than double that for the E-M5.

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Where can you get a refurb EP3 for $450? Is that without lens?

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I, too, find the mini more fun to shoot with, though for the larger lenses, the larger body does hold some appeal.

20. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    $579 from Cameta with 14-42II or 17/2.8. I was factoring in selling the lens.