E-P3 users, are you switching to the E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hkpzee, Feb 9, 2012.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Fellow E-P3 users, I just want to get a sense of what you are planning to do with your E-P3 now that the E-M5 is launched...

I, for one, would wait for the next E-P_ model to come out before deciding on whether to add the E-M5 to my collection, switch to a new E-P_, or hold on to what I have...
  2. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    I am in no hurry to "upgrade". I already have the VF-2 for those times when I need it, but the slimmer profile of the E-P3 fr those times when I don't. I don't need anything else in a :43: camera, the E-P3 does me just fine. I might get the E-M5, maybe, as a second :43: body, and then grab whichever one is more appropriate for the job, but I doubt I will do even that. My E-P3, with its "ageing" sensor, is doing just fine.

I don't see enough improvements in the E-M5 to make me want to get rid of my E-P3, or feel the need to upgrade.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    That's pretty much how I feel also. I do hope for improved sensor performance, but I am afraid the improvement will not be significant enough to warrant an upgrade, so I will reserve judgement until after all the hype has calm down, and people actually get to play with the new camera...

From the sample photo that I've seen (posted on another thread), I think some people will be complaining about limited DR in the E-M5 in a few months time, as they are complaining about that in the E-P3 now...

BTW, I also prefer the form factor of the E-P3 over the E-M5 and the flexibility of the VF-2...
  4. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

It's a hard time for me not to pull the trigger...

A couple of month ago, I was saying to one of my friend who is also a µ4/3 nerd that the perfect camera would be an EP3 with :

- buit-in viewfinder
    - swivel touch screen LCD
    - IBIS (for legacy lenses)
    - better video cpacity (especially no rolling shutter, I don't need the GH2, I'm not good enough to capitalize on its specs)
    - an updated sensor
    - one more dial
    - focus peaking

6/7 : that's enough for me to really WANT it over the EP3. But i's true I don't need it :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I might have been able to hold back only because I actually prefer the form factor of the E-P3 over the E-M5. I like the flexibility of using a removable EVF, but I must say the pricing of the E-M5 makes it look awfully tempting... :wink:
  6. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

E-M5 looks awesome, but if I had the money I'd put it into more native lenses. I feel that additional glass would improve my photos more than a small(?) increase in body IQ. There are so many great options, and they'll be compatible with future OM-Ds and E-Ps.

Budget constraints have a lot to do with my stance though. If I had $$$$ to burn I'd put it on pre-order. It sounds like a winner, but so is the E-P3 which I already have.

It's been said before: the E-P3 is nicely refined and really hits the target in terms of what m4/3 is about for a many of us.

I have the feeling it's going to be a while until we see the next top shelf Pen.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    On the fence. Wasn't considering upgrading, but the manual controls, viewfinder for use with telephoto lenses (the upcoming 75mm f/1.8) and full metal construction are very appealing. I'll wait for some sample pictures, but if the E-M5 has decent ISO3200, I'll probably upgrade ^^;
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mickdo100

mickdo100 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    Scotland, UK
    I've only just moved over to micro 4/3 and I knew as soon as I did within months a new camera would be unveiled. I have to say though that I love my EP-3. I like having detachable viewfinder and overall the camera suits my needs perfectly. I promised myself when I moved over I would only spend money on glass and despite the new camera looking like a beauty I will resist and invest in lenses until wear, tear or poor impulse control forces my hand in a couple of years time.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    My sentiments here^.

I probably won't pick up an OM until i can consolidate some gear and afford to own both bodies.

After doing some shooting in VN recently, ive come to appreciate the pen's unintimidating form. No sweat from anyone and the people went about their business. For what i like to shoot, it made me feel pretty transparent, so ill be holding on to the ep3 for awhile.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've always wanted two bodies, and I personally still find that the E-P3 is the best looking camera around. I also am guessing that the E-P3 will remain the best feeling camera around (for me).

I am getting an E-M5, but I'm thinking it will be the less used of my two cameras. The Pana 14 will live on the E-P3 and see the most use, while the Oly 45 will live on the E-M5 and see less use. At least that's how I'm guessing it will work out.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    At Henry's in Canada, all the PENs have dropped in price once more now.

E-P3 kit - $789
    E-PL3 kit - $549
    E-PM1 kit - $399 (again)

They are keen to move these units I suppose.
  12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I really love the ergonomics of the E-P3 too, which is why I am holding on to it for now.

However, even though I am gonna hold off purchasing the E-M5 for now, I do look forward to first-hand reviews from you guys.
  13. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I sold my P3 two months ago and bought a PL2 at a very low price on ebay and will get the E-M5.

The P3 is a great camera. I used it along with my Canon's on jobs and the clients said that the pictures were great. I just need for the E-M5 to have a little improvement and I'm happy.

BTW, the PL2 is also a great camera for me. Once I adapt to the different configurations and menus of the cameras, they're all good.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    I'll be keeping the E-P3 for stuffing into a backpack during mountain bike treks, or on a Black Rapid sling for this season's road bike ride around Lake Tahoe. For party snaps, carrying in my computer bag or having along in the car, the less conspicuous E-P3 will be perfect. But for the panoramas I've been shooting, or pure photography projects, the E-M5 will be my choice. There's a cool project on my calendar that requires beauty shots of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk for their offices; if it could wait until April, I'd use the EM-5, but I think they'll need the images before then. For Burningman this summer the weatherproofed body and 12-50 will be a great thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I would have upgraded simply based on the jettisoning of the fiddly rear dial given all else would have matched my EP3. Lordy how I hate that thing.

But the OM has so many other fantastic goodies it was a no brainer. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am still on the fence too, but I am leaning towards keeping my E-PL3 (okay, borrow my wife's I mean) as my compact/pocket option, selling the E-P3 and ordering the E-M5.

I think long term, I would probably buy either the updated E-PM2 or E-PL5 and use that as my pocketable option.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I currently has an E-PL3 as my second body, so I suppose I could sell my E-P3 for the E-M5 and keep the E-PL3. The problem is I never really liked the handling of that camera after being so used to my E-P3, but carrying the E-P3 + the E-M5 seems too bulky, which is another reason I am holding out, I guess.
  18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    This is a tight call. Had I not already purchased the E-P3 I might be tempted by the E-M5 on the basis of it being marginally cheaper as a package taking into account the included EVF and the pre-order deal in the UK which includes the grip. Having already got the E-P3 my view is somewhat different as I would have to allow for the depreciation when selling it on.

True, the new camera has several nice improvements and new features, but non of these is a "must have" as far as I am concerned. I doesn't suddenly make the E-P3 a bad camera.

I have to ask if upgrading to the E-M5 would actually improve my photography and if I'm honest the answer is no. In fact the Pen still has certain advantages for me, not least being a smaller body that gives me a choice of wether or not to use an EVF, depending on where I'm going or what I'm shooting. It appears far more cost effective to buy a VF-2, which I don't yet have, and direct any extra money which may become available towards additional lenses.
  19. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I really like the flip capability of the removable EVF but in the field its a PITA. I have to be constantly checking it to make sure it hasn't come loose and about to fall out. I won't miss it. :tongue:
  20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I am curious about the price movement. The E-P3 might become a very nice bargain at retail, and should certainly be priced competitively on the secondary market.