1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 upgraders... What you say?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rich9cinti, Apr 6, 2013.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Had the pleasure of shooting around Baylor University, Texas this past Friday for my daughter's visit and more today. Reviewed the images using the E-P3 with 17/1.8 and I like it alot. I've pondered the thought of what results the E-PL5 or OM-D would have added...

For the former E-P3 body users here, what did you upgrade to and what are your thoughts?

2. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Still have my EP3, and still enjoy using it, especially with my Nokton lens. I purchased a G5 a couple of months ago and although the image quality is a step beyond the EP3 the Olympus just feels a more solid and quality product.
    I will probably pension the EP3 off sometime this year and just leave it in a small bag inside my car along with the VF2 and 14-42 and 40-150 lenses.
    The GH3 is looking like it may find a place in my bag to complement my G5 and 12-35 and 35-100 lenses. When Olympus reveal their new models later this year I will weigh up which body will best suit my primes as I feel they work better for me on Olympus bodies.

3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    If you shoot at higher ISO you will get better performance. And the dynamic range is better on the E-PL5. I hardly ever shoot above ISO 800-1600 myself so the difference in ISO is not worth it for my needs. If you find noise to be an issue with your high ISO images there are plenty of software you can use. Neat Image, Topaz DeNoise, Noise Ninja ext.

As far as the dynamic range is concerned again this is non issue for me. And I've have never had any DR issues with my LX3. Expose correctly and try to expose to the right. Also if you use LR the local adjustment brushes can work wonders if you need to lighten or darken part of an image.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've used the EP3, EPM1 (same sensor and AF speed), OMD and EPL5. I currently only have the EPL5.

The last gen (EP3 and EPM1) IMO had better OOC colors in RAW. I think they may be the same in jpg, but I'm not a jpg shooter, so I'm not entirely sure. The OMD and EPL5 really need the huelight profiles to correct their magenta cast. It's easy to set up in LR. The magenta cast is mostly taken care of if shooting jpg. Having said that, the noise in ISO is very much in favor of the newer cameras. I can shoot to ISO3200 on the EPL5. I would only do ISO1600 in B&W on the EP3/EPM1, preferring to stay at ISO800 and under generally.

The EPL5 is a very nice size. Quite compact. It has the touch shutter of the EP3, but also the flip screen, which is quite versatile. It can also take the larger grip of the EP3. That's the upside. The downside is that the mode dial is SUPER easy to change, and the rear wheel dial is not the easiest to use, because the flip screen kind of gets in the way. Because of this, I've been thinking about getting an OMD, which also has the flip LCD.

However, the OMD is notably bigger than the EPL5, and I don't like the naked OMD grip, which means I would need to make it bigger still with the add-on grip, or maybe try one of the 1/2 cases (something I never tried myself). But if you like the EVF, then the built-in EVF of the OMD is nice. On my EPL5, I currently have an elastic band to secure my EVF to the body and that also happens to run over the mode dial, making it harder to accidentally turn. This takes care of two issues for sure, but it's not the nicest looking thing, so my vanity gets in the way on this one.

Hope that helps in some way. Oly has a hole in the lineup right now, where an EP5 (with integrated EVF) should sit.

5. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I went from E-P3 to OMD, but I can't really tell you what it's done for me. I just got the OMD a few days ago, and have literally only taken a about a dozen shots with it.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Big difference at higher ISO. I left my EM5 at home yesterday and used my EPM1, same image quality as the EP3. And having gotten used to the EM5, I got lazy and left the EPM1 in AUTO ISO.

We were inside a dealership's garage, well lit for the techs, but many of my shots still scooted up to 1600/3200. The EPM1 tries, but the shadow areas are pretty bad. In this case, I could fix it with Noiseware in Photoshop, much better than LR4's built-in NR. Good enough for our car club's website.

With a 17 F1.8, you will have less cause to wish for better ISO capability. I was using the 9-18 zoom and 7.5 FE, which are F4 and f3.5 respectively. I had the 20mm with me....

If you ever upgrade to a newer PEN, the sensor improvements will make you very happy.

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I upgraded to the E-M5 but kept the E-P3 as my second body.

For me, the advantages of the E-M5 over the E-P3 are greater dynamic range, mostly in the highlights which is a big plus for scenic/landscape photography in bright light, the tilting OLED screen, and the better button/control layout and ergonomics.

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Nothing outdoors except a little more dynamic range. Indoors you can shoot at higher ISO's with the E-PL5 and the indoor auto white balance is more accurate.

I bought my OMD (very similar to the E-PL5) mainly for shooting indoors or for shooting nicely stabilized video that has no rolling shudder.

For outdoor shooting I use my old E-PL1 as there is nothing to be gained by using the OMD and in fact the OMD's images seem a tad less sharp than the E-PL1.