1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 & the Blue Ridge Parkway - Mile Marker 215 to 290* (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by kundalini, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    This year's stay on the BRP was at mile marker 256, driveway directly onto the parkway. The asterisk is due to about a 20 mile stretch of detour for road repairs. Apparently, the contractor really screwed up the asphalt when they were building up the retatining walls. I love October weather and having a week or ten days each year in the mountains rejuvenates my soul. Of all the years that I've been doing this, I have yet to return from a trip with an image that looks as beautiful as the view I witnessed. But yet, every year I keep trying.

I think I'll be posting a bunch, so fair warning to you. Although I can't go do a reshoot, if you have thoughts on post work, it would be much appreciated. Crack on the ones you think should be binned.

All these images were taken with my little m43 Olympus E-P3. I rented the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 for the trip for a WA lens. I've discovered that the CA on the lens is much like I've read. Prone to the dreaded purple fringing and throwing lens flair. OTOH, when lighting is within it's limitations, it does work well. I also carried the kit lens 14-42mm, the 40-150mm and the 25mm. The greatest thing about this setup is that it only weighs a couple of pounds all together. If you're pixel peeping, yeah, the limits of m43 is noticeable, but I'm reserving judgement until I see prints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 (you'll see Sam quite often)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I've processed so far. I do not apologize for the quantity of images. I just want to share the beauty of this little corner of the world and wish everyone could see it for themselves to really appreciate it.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

• Like Like x 6
  2. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    great set!
    19 is nice...

3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Love The BlueRidge Parkway.

Just love The Blue Ridge Parkway. On a scale of 1 to 10 this was a nine when I went up. We made two trips up this year, and the first the trees were just beginning to show color. That first trip was between Asheville and the National Park at the Southern end of the parkway. The other trip was around blowing rock and the wind was blowing over 35mph and it was all you could do to stand up at some of the overlooks.

<object width="468" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="i=I0000ETUuNhUHWrQ&b=1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="true" FlashVars="i=I0000ETUuNhUHWrQ&b=1" allowfullscreen="true" width="468" height="720"></embed></object>

<object width="700" height="488"><param name="movie" value="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="i=I00005JOUUq2cmts&b=1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="true" FlashVars="i=I00005JOUUq2cmts&b=1" allowfullscreen="true" width="700" height="488"></embed></object>

<object width="468" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="i=I00003fnKYtamYJg&b=1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="true" FlashVars="i=I00003fnKYtamYJg&b=1" allowfullscreen="true" width="468" height="720"></embed></object>

<object width="700" height="488"><param name="movie" value="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="i=I0000ABIAmzObfmo&b=1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.photoshelter.com/swf/imgWidget.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="true" FlashVars="i=I0000ABIAmzObfmo&b=1" allowfullscreen="true" width="700" height="488"></embed></object>

All shot with the GF1 and P.P. in LR3 using Viveza 2 or Color Efex Pro 3.0 filters from Nik Software. I think if you use a tripod and cable release (I wasn’t able to on most of these shots because of high wind) you will get just as good a result as from my Nikon D200. While the color was best around Blowing Rock, I really like the views South of Asheville.

I am out of Charlotte, and the parkway is about 2 1/2 hours from our home, and we try to get up there often.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 2
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    K: I assume you shot raw? BTW I live about 15 miles from BRP mile marker 45 so I get up[ there a bit. You did a good job with this set.

5. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    My wife and I did the BRP on my Triumph this past spring, from Winchester to Asheville. It was fantastic. We only spent two days, I could have spent two weeks.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I was up around the BRP last year around Maggie Valley. We traveled it from Maggie Valley almost to Ashville. Sadly, the leaves had't started turning yet.

Very nice photos. Looks similar to the one's I took Last weekend near Franklin NC.

7. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Jim - Thanks. Sam was not as happy as I was at this moment. She wanted a bench and the best I could offer was a flat rock. :)

Chuck - Awesome photos, thanks for sharing. Yep, I think we hit peak colors this year. I've been doing the BRP in October for about 10 years now and only one other time were the colors and weather so good. Well, for the first 4 days anyway. It rained all day Wednesday and Thursday was cold and windy. I hail from Raleigh BTW.

drd1135 - Yes, these were shot in RAW. I have several bracketed shots that I have to process too. HDR in kinda new to me, so the results will be interesting to see.

Tec - I used to ride, but had to get rid of it due to an accident (car, not bike) and subsequent neck surgery. I think I could handle a HOG now (with a windscreen).

Djarum - I love the Asheville, Black Mountain area and Maggie Valley is very nice too. Most of my time on the BRP has been on the southern end of the parkway, particularly Linville and Transylvania County.

8. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Here's a few more......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31 Had to get one of the EP3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35 Outbound on loop trail
    [​IMG]

36 On the return
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for looking and your comments.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    if you have offered her your lap, i believe the photo would have come out even better... :wink:

10. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I love 33 and 34. Absolutely stunning landscapes.