1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 stabilizer doesn't recognize focal length?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by htc, Sep 13, 2011.

1. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Have I done something wrong because I have to use info button to change the focal length every time I change the lens.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    If it's like the earlier version (which I'm pretty sure it is) the camera automatically recognizes the focal length for m43 lenses--you don't have to do anything. Only for legacy lenses do you need to set the focal length manually.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The focal length numbers should be grey, instead of white (they are white when a non-native or legacy lens is attached). FL on native lenses is auto-detected.

I agree with you, though, it would be more useful if it reflected that in the UI.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mellow is spot on. If you go into the IS menu with a native lens attached it will display the last manually entered focal length but it will be greyed out (although strangely it is still possible to change the value) and the IS unit will read the actual focal length from the lens. As soon as you remove the native lens the value will no longer be greyed out and the focal length entered will be read by the IS unit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    So it's a matter of trust? Like the light in the fridge? Yes, there is the last manually entered figure and greyed out AND you can change it.

Thank you guys, this was my biggest problem today. More tomorrow :biggrin:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Personally, I'm very glad I can change the legacy IS value when I don't have a legacy lens mounted. This is something I would like to have adjusted beforehand, rather than on the spot when I'm out in the field and want to swap to a legacy lens.

What I wish would change though, is that the legacy IS value should be saved with MySet resets, so I can create a profile for different lenses instead of having to scroll all the way from say 50mm to 200mm every time I mount a new lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Also it would be nice to have the proper value there, not just the last manually entered number. I mean at least for us who doesn't have the trust :biggrin:

8. Good point.