E-P3 Silver w/ zoom for $749 at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by krugorg, Sep 17, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That was quick! I'm glad I decided between the ep3 and epl3 and sold the ep3 QUICK before the prices started dropping...

-Ray

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yeah, nice timing Ray! As always, impatience and impulse control costs me (buying on the bleeding edge).

Oh well, I am excited to see them price the camera aggressively at BB. I hope it brings a lot of new m4/3 users into the fold.

4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Makes the epl3 seem expensive in comparison now.

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Oh crap, now the decision gets harder. I'd all but talked myself into a E-PM1 mostly because of the value vs. the other new PENs . . . but now if the E-P3 is only $250 more than the E-PM1 . . . crap, I don't know.

Ray, what do you think? I don't remember if you played with an E-PM1, but from what you've read is the E-P3 worth $250 more?

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think if it's going to be your only body and only camera then it's probably worth it. Otherwise it's still too expensive for a 3-year old sensor...

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What do I think? I have no idea! For ME, the EP3 was worth every penny - it just felt that RIGHT to me. But I wanted the tilt screen and I didn't care about the touch screen and the EPL3 was nice enough for me to go with that. But if they'd had the same basic screen, I'd have gone for the EP3. I had no interest in the EPM1 - I like having more direct buttons. I'm sure I could have adapted, but I never seriously considered it.

But should you? I don't know. You should probably handle each of them in a shop someplace, if you can find one. The key thing is the IQ and basic performance is identical on all three, so it really just comes down to features and how it feels in the hand. And what I liked (and what I'd be willing to pay for it) is likely relevant to nobody else...

-Ray

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I know. It was a stupid question--I was venting. Thanks for answering it anyway!

9. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    could it be a mistake?

10. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    at that price i could afford an EVF. oh well, what's done is done. hope someone snaps it up. i prefer the color black.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 on black.... but, think I would have picked the silver for $749! :biggrin: I would, of course, had to get one of those snazzy black leather skins.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Estimated Sales Tax: $45.00
    !@#$

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Black paint on E-P2 would peel off after couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised if Oly is using same low quality paint for E-P3. It's not anodized..For that matter I think silver is more durable because I don't think there is much paint, it looks like brushed aluminum.

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is definitely a different finish - the E-P3 is more of a powder coat. I don't think it is scratch proof, by any means, but will hold up much better than the E-P2 "black" did.

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    AAARGH. I was mulling over this. BUT, Best Buy realized the error of their way. Price is now $899.

:crying:

I guess I'll end up with a NEX5n then ...

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    oh NO....I was just at Best Buy yesterday to see if they had any in the store. They looked it up in the computer and said no, but they could order it. Price was $749.99. I decided to sleep on it....I don;t really need a camera. THis morning I awoke ready to go back and order it. Guess I won't be placing my order today.

17. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I wonder if Best Buy actually sold any. They had it priced under dealer net.

18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Probably made a mistake. Hopefully, they will honor the price for the folks who did order the camera. Bad for PR if they don't honor the price.

If anyone ordered it at $750, let us know how it turned out. Thanks!

19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Precision had... Something... I think mebe the epm1 listed as $0.00 and u could add it to Cart. I, extremely briefly, thought about doing it just to see if they'd honor it. Lol

20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Wow!! Should have ordered a dozen! :smile: