E-P3 shows incorrect focus points in

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Feb 4, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Using my E-P3 and Aperture, I noticed that, when using the touch screen to change focus points, it does not register correctly when viewed in Aperture,ie, the little red square showing point of focus is not in the right place. It actually shows only where the manually set focus point was (using the rocker).

Is this an Aperture issue or an Olympus bug? Who cares where the manually set focus point is - I want to know where the camera actually focussed! :confused:
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Tom, I noticed this too. It's unfortunate.

Personally I think it's an Aperture bug? Why? If you flip through the various different modes when viewing on the E-P3, there is one mode which displays the histogram and various other photo info (shutter, ISO etc). If you look at the photo icon in the topleft, it correctly shows the focus point as a small green box.

So it seems to me that the focus point is indeed stored in the RAW file, but the RAW decoder in Aperture isn't reading it correctly.
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I noticed that too, the camera viewer gets it right. I still wonder if those using LR run into the same issue?
  4. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    LIghtroom3 doesn't have a "show the focus point" option, and I haven't seen any sign of it in the LR4 beta either
  5. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    if you want to know the focus point you can see it from body info and...this is maybe silly but it works, try to use olympus viewer and use the diorama. You will see only 1 vertical line / 1 horizontal line and you can guess where the focus box might be :D