1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

e-p3 settings jpg Vs raw

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by raphpict, Feb 20, 2012.

1. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi all,

I read here and there that "sharpness" should be set to "-2"...
    I am now wondering what settings impact what "file": raw or jpg or both.
    My use of the e-p3 is "Large Fine JPG + RAW".
    About 90% of the pictures i keep are direct JPG from the camera. The last 10% are RAW that i spend some time on to process the way i like.

I did some test but can not tell wether the "Sharpness" settings change the JPG, RAW or both.
    My first thought was that RAW is "pure" RAW and only JPG file should be impacted. Am i right or wrong ?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Exposure settings impact both (EV +/-, aperture, shutter speed, ISO), everything else impacts Jpg only, I believe. Ned would likely have all the details.

3. White balance is the only non-exposure related picture setting that will be applied to a RAW file, but it can of course be changed in a RAW convertor/editor. Sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc is jpeg only.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, sharpness is JPG only along with all other "Picture Mode" settings and White Balance. Though you can change White Balance in RAW it's still a good idea to have it set during the shot as it could take more work to find the correct balance otherwise.

5. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    If you're right, which is what i think too, why do many people agree to reduce sharpening to "-2" ? Do they use jpeg only ?

On my side, i changed nothing on sharpness, saturation, contrast when shooting, only in post processing (JPG, and RAW when needed).

To tell you the truth, one of the reason i now have a e-p3 (versus GX1) is the olympus's JPG straights from the camera.

Thanks for your reply,

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think quite a number of folks shoot RAW + JPG, using RAW as a back-up, should they not like the jpg. Some others just shoot jpg alone.

7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Personally, I find the Olympus generally produces the pictures I want with respect to exposure and color balance, so I use an editor to crop and perform small adjustments. For me, I don't generally need to process RAW. Additionally, I use my EPM1 for fun, and carry it around with me in my pocket, and I just don't want the extra work of processing everyday stuff.

And when I'm going to really shoot, I'll take the K-5 anyway. That camera has great RAW headroom.

8. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Hi, guys!

I just dived into m43 system and gotten a E-P3 with double zoom and 17mm. prime! I am dumping my Nikon gear in favor of 1 system for my girl and me.
    PEN for her, OMD for me. :)

This is exactly the question that I needed to get answered ASAP.
    I am currently battling the menus! :)

Thanks for all the answers so far, regarding the original subject. :)

9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

These days the only thing I use RAW for is birds. I need every speck of detail I can get to make a little bird look good at say twice even three times life size on the screen. I tried just opening jpgs in ACR and what a waste of time. Birds looked ok reproduced say life size but no bigger. Fine detail is smeared when enlarged. So its RAW for the birdies. Given I'm shooting them with the Oly 75/300 and thus at f/6.7 and usually that means cranking up the iso to 800 ... I can't do that much noise reduction even with RAW as the tiny tiny feathers just smear together.