E-P3 Settings and Use

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Jul 27, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    When I got my first m4/3 cam, an E-P1, back when dinosaurs ruled, Brian Mosley started a thread dedicated to the many Settings options on the E-Px's. In that spirit I'll do the same. Brian also included video...not happenin'! :rolleyes:

Instead, I have created a webpage which lists the various options (cribbed from the DPR listing, so I need to double check on the cam), based on their placement in the menu structure. If you're a newbie (as we all are right now!), you can start by tabbing through the menus and checking the spreadsheet for notes/settings that others (right now, just yours truly!) have used/suggested.

Some items I don't use, so they're blank. Others I have a '?' because I'm undecided. Overall, it's a work in process - a rough draft.

The basis of the webpage is a google doc. Anyone with an interest in making mods to the sheet, adding their notes, etc., just PM me. We can have separate columns for variations. I haven't fully thought this through, so feel free to chime in with suggestions! :biggrin:

Here is the link: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...VXdFJOUmRqUVdHUnBfNmw5MVc5TDNMbnc&output=html

• Like Like x 15
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Tom,

Thanks for doing this. Although it just won't be the same without brian's videos, which were very useful...

I am not in the market for an EP3, (not enough of an upgrade from my GF1 for my purposes) but am very interested in Olympus developments. I did have an EP2 and am curious about something, and maybe you can comment.

With my GF1 it was a simple matter to set up the shooting screen to my liking: small centre AF point, histogram and a few other things. With my EP2 I could not find a way to build the screen the way I want, and keep it that way. If I wanted to see the histogram, I had to cycle to a different screen, and then some of the other information was not available. I found this frustrating and inexplicable, and lots of searching and discussions did not show a way.

Can you tailor your shooting screen?

One other thing about the EP2 that bugged me: the main scroll wheel was a bit fiddly and too easy to move accidentally. In reviews I have just read that "it's about the same'. What is your experience?

Sounds picky, I know, but the ease and array of options gave the edge to the Panasonic interface for my purposes.

I did enjoy my EP2, but the GF1 interface and snappier operation won me over. Clearly the latter is no longer an issue.

Thanks in advance,
    Stephen

3. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i hate u all who got their ep3 already.

4. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Shooting info control and rear dial...

The options remain similar, though generally more information. You must choose between histogram, grid, levels, etc. A tap of the shutter reveals all existing settings around the perimeter. A select few remain, depending on the Info page you're on. I don't see any way to change these.
    For Levels: P/A/S/M, Shutter, Aper, Exp Comp.
    For Histogram and Highlight/Shadow add: focus mode, mic, IS
    For Grid add: ISO, Picture Type (eg, Natural),Raw/JPG, Movie Res

About the same. Though, since I use the thumbwheel as my primary 'adjuster', I set the dial to 'Flash Comp', which means accidental change is OK (unless using flash!). You can also turn off dial in shooting mode - but need to turn it back on to regain shutter/ap adjustment in Manual Mode. I find the four quadrant presses (rocker) is fine, just the dial moves accidentally - Is that what you meant?

Not ideal, but works for me!

5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    You have answered my questions - thanks Tom.

Yes, and that's the case with all cameras in my experience - there is some element of coping or workaround.

6. brian watkins

brian watkins Mu-43 Rookie

well i just picked up my Ep3 yesterday and i'm not sure what to think. for me the menu is overwhelming. I've been shooting the E-500 and have grown accustomed to it but this is too much. I still need to spend time with it. i was hoping that i could pick it up and start shooting but i'm can't seem to take that kind of control over it yet. i know most of my problems will be answered by reading the book.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I remember feeling the same about the EP1. It took me a while, but the rewards are high, as the camera is very customizable. Coming from an EP1, the EP3 is actually easy to use, but coming from a DSLR to an EP1 two years ago, I was in the same boat as you are now.

Hang in there! The camera is very rewarding if you learn it!

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Much Thanks

I really appreciate your creation of this spreadsheet. It is helping me immensely. My EP 3 and lenses will be here this week and I am diligently studying the manual (on line) and now your settings to get ahead of the game.

I just sold my Nikon D3 and lenses as I was just not using them in my current life situation mostly due to the bulk and my desire to shoot more wildlife and just could not justify the expense and monstrosity of a big telephoto.

Im really looking forward to seeing if the 75/300 can get the bird and animal shots that abound here in the wild lands I live in. (SW rural Texas)

I plan to play with the camera a lot in it's default settings except for reducing the focus point and slowly customize it to my liking. Your settings look like a great start.

Thanks Much :2thumbs:

9. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    You're welcome! Let me know if you have any thoughts on improving the spreadsheet... There are a lot of settings that really aren't critical, so it's a challenge to identify the 'interesting' ones.

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Nice work on the SpreadSheet

Just got my E-P3 today :)
    No real RAW support in Adobe

Olympus what were you thinking ... bracketing STILL -+ 1 stop AND I see no easy way to turn off bracketing ???

IQ don't know yet

All up a suberb build camera with great AF even old 43 lenses are better but not by a mile
    The 12-60 a little better and the 50/2 still hunts
    The PL 43's are faster

Early days but a great little CAM
    1080p Video now
    :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  11. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I have Exp. bracketing on Myset1 and assigned to FN1. Easy on/off, but you have to live with whatever else you have set when saving Myset1, eg, ISO. If you know your other settings going into a situation, this could work...but it's far from ideal.

At least bracketing isn't buried too far in the menus, like before!

12. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ok no worries Tom
    Can you save it as an excel spreadsheet ?

13. czzzla

czzzla New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. I will try this out when i got home after work :p
    I just got my E-P3 yesterday...ha...So much to learn

14. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Hah!
    I got my E-P1 way back in 3/2010 and recently, when reading here, I discovered that this one also has the SCP which I already know from using my E-420.
    You live and learn

15. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Hmmm...do I have a crippled E3 or an absent mind?

Timely resurface of this post. I've been in the process of customising my EP3 in line with my different style of shooting with prime lenses - I do shoot mighty different with zooms - yeah I know FREAK!

As I use it so frequently - and never intend shooting movies with my camera - I would prefer to set the "Movie" button to AEL/AFL. Many places say it can be done, and Tom's attached spreadsheet has it marked as the preference, but for the life of me "AEL/AFL" doesn't appear as an option during the Movie button configuration. Hmmm...

So as the title suggests is my EP3 crippled or am I missing something?

Cheers.

16. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    ....disregard, t'was user error

:blush:

Ummm...ahhh...figured it out. You can only select AEL/AFL once. Since i had the function assigned to another button already it was unavailable to the Movie button. Seems you can only have the function assigned to a single button and not multiple.....which makes more sense than me!

Sorry, and I could have just deleted my reply - to save face - but in case there's anyone else out these as simple as I, here's your problem......and welcome to the shadow club of Mensa :blush:

• Like Like x 2
  17. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi thearne3
    You did a great job !
    I am planning to buy an E-P3 and would really appreciate to print the spreadsheet for easy reading.
    Is there a way to import it to excel ?
    Thanks !

18. mlb

mlb New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2011
    You should be able to copy/paste it into Excel. I just tried it and got reasonable results.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great work on the spreadsheet. Incredible how many setting this camera has!

Lucky for those of us who don't use even 5% of them, it's very easy to control the basics with this camera.

• Like Like x 1
  20. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If it doesn't miraculously appear on the SCP, I ain't gonna use it! :redface: