E-P3 Scene Modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MikeB, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    So I just picked up the MCON-P01 Macro adapter, and noticed that my E-P3 has a special scene mode for it. Great! But, what exactly does the scene mode do?

Now, on a previous camera (different brand), there was a macro mode that told the camera to search for focus in the close range, rather than further away. And that was useful. But is the E-P3 really doing something different with the focus algorithm?

In fact, there's a scene mode for each of the 3 Olympus adapters: the wide angle, the fish eye, and the macro. What are these modes doing? Is it something that I can't adjust for myself when using one of the PASM modes? What's the penalty for not using the appropriate scene mode, what features am I missing?

I'm actually rather annoyed with the user manual on this aspect. There's a nice section that lists all the different scene modes, but nothing to document the actual effect of each one. Some of them are pretty obvious, they're just going to shift to faster exposures, or wider apertures, or something similar. But are there other settings or features on the camera that are only used for specific scene modes?

2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Any news on this?

3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    After setting the SCN to Macro (Adapter), the only thing I notice is that ISO is shifted to AUTO (max 1600) and when half-pressing the shutter, the symbol in the lower left corner of the screen changes to iAuto with a flower/closeup graphic.

I never use iAuto, so I can only guess that lots of decisions are being made by algorithms. The only control that has an effect is the Dial left (---), which allows for point of focus.

I'm inclined to skip the SCN mode...

• Like Like x 1
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Looks like that scene mode at least changes:

1 - the aperture; looks like it tries to pick a higher aperture for more DoF
    2 - the JPEG colors; I think it uses the same color settings with that of Landscape scene mode (makes sense if you think about it - most macro photography is outdoors)

If you're going to do macro photography, I tend to agree with Tom - handle the aperture and shutter speeds yourself.