E-P3 replacing my E-PL2 (Too poor for and OM-D)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wattseee, Jul 31, 2012.

1. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Considering that this section seems to have turned into OM-D'ville I'm not sure many people will be interested in the lesser siblings, but thought I'd post some quick first impressions of my new(old) kit.

I decided recently that the best way for me to avoid the OM-D upgrade temptation would be to go for a used E-P3. I was initially worried there wouldn't be enough difference to EPL2 to justify the expense but so far I've got no buyers remorse and the OM-D urges seem to have settled. Here's what I think.

- AF assist lamp. This is one of my biggest gripes with E-PL2 and one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade.
    - Touchscreen. I had it on a GF2 and really liked it, so glad to have it back. Extra resolution over E-PL2 is also a welcome improvement.
    - Handling. I actually prefer the E-PL2 in my hand, but will probably try the fat grip to see what it's like.
    - Extra control dial and fn button is great to have.
    - Overall performance improvements are also great. Not massive leaps over the very capable E-PL2, but everything is just that little bit better resulting in a very good experience.
    - Considering how little I've used my VF-2 I'm more than happy to stick with a removable EVF.

I'd still like an OM-D eventually, but for about 1/3 the price I'm very content with my new (old) E-P3.

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I personally don't care for the OLED screen of the E-P3 and OM-D. It has a greenish tint even when looking straight at it. And it's not as bright as a LCD screen like the ones on the E-PL2 and my E-PL1. So it's harder to judge exposure and white balance. I am also not a fan of the touch screen of the E-P3 and OM-D because I find it awkward to push on the screen to take a picture at a time when one is supposed to be trying to hold the camera as steady as possible.

3. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I hadn't noticed a big difference in screen brightness or tint, but only been playing for a night. The menu details is much better, but that doesn't help when taking photos!.

I think the touchscreen is somewhat of a gimmick but the great thing about the E-P3 is that it's a pure addition, not a replacement for any manual controls, and it can be turned off. I found it handy for reviewing pics, particularly zooming and scrolling around.

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Actually you touch the oled screen, so no pushing here please :) i think this feature invites to doing some nice discreet shots. As soon as you put the cam to your eye as we are used to do, a lot of natural poses goes away from the subject.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    to be honest, i jumped on the omd wagon because of the great sensor, fast af and IQ basically. i dont use video at all, never use the touchscreen and hate tilting screens, i just like shooting through a viewfinder. and in terms of size is actually the same size as my ex-epl2 so for me thats awesome.

6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i find the "touch to focus area/ point" feature on the E-P3 is superb!

• Like Like x 3
  7. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I'm very happy with my E-P3 and would definitely rather spend on lenses than a move to O-MD. My second-owner camera came with the bigger grip and I'm very glad it did. I tried the standard one and didn;t like it nearly as much. The only other suggestion I'd make is that the Aki-Asahi covering looks great and definitely feels better in the hand than the naked camera.

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I believe an E-P3 is a significant upgrade over the E-PL2, with the only exception being the sensor! I love the style of the E-P3, and handling gets better with the large grip. Performance is also much snappier, honestly, I don't feel much difference between the AF speed of the E-P3 and E-M5. In terms of the color of the OLED, I can get it close enough to my computer display with temperature and brightness adjustments that I feel it's no longer an issue for me.

I upgraded to an E-M5 only because of the new sensor, which gives me better DR and high ISO performance, the IBIS, and a serious bout of GAS! Having said that, I still think the E-P3 is a very capable camera, and a classic in design, which is why I am not selling mine!

• Like Like x 1
  9. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    +1

10. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I'm with the OP. I won't be able to afford an OMD for a long, long time, but I should have an EP3 by Christmas. It's good for Olympus that the OMD is so popular, but it seems that Pens will be the stepchildren on the Olympus forum. :)

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Since reading the site on my iPad, I HAD to touch there! :rofl:

Actually, the touch screen can be a very seious tool if you use it right. The other day a Nikon user was complaining about the lack of dedicated buttons on the camera, like AF/MF toggle. I told them with the touch screen and the Super Control Panel it's like having an additional 20+ buttons on the camera...all they had to do was push OK to bring up the SCP, touch the option they wanted to change, and then turn the wheel.

12. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Only recently able to get the E-p2. I think the E-p3 and OMD will have to wait for a while. OMD was what I was hoping would be available some day, long before we actually heard about it. Now that it is here, I have to wait until prices drop back into SS (retirement) range. The E-p2 is doing a great job. Just added the Sigma 30mm. But the OMD with it's built in OVF, is still on the waiting list.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I fail to see any significant upgrade from E-PL2 to E-P3. Since you can't afford OM-D, why not look at Panasonic GX1? same price as E-P3 (if not cheaper?) but with better sensor, AF assist lamp, EVF compatibility, etc.

14. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Only someone who hasn't used both would say that. It's like saying there's no significance between a Kia and a Ferrari, it's just another car.

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    sorry, typo. edited. meant to say E-P3

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I use an even slower E-PL1. But focusing speed is not an issue for my outdoor landscape jpeg shooting. What matters is rich, accurate jpeg colors, a bright image that resolves alot fine detail. On all those counts I find the E-PL1 superior to my OMD. OMD jpegs smear fine detail. Also, my E-PL1 is superior in user friendliness; it has large buttons and a simplied menu vs. the tiny rubbery buttons of the OMD and its complicated menu.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I added the E-P3 to an E-PL2 that I already had. In terms of IQ there is little difference but the handling is very different (I love the dial and wheel) and the touchscreen was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect to use it, but I do quite frequently.
    I passed on the GX1 for one reason - IBIS. Some people don't seem to need or like having it, but I won't be without it after using it on the Pens. :biggrin:

18. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Oh no... I can feel the smell of angry omd owners... Take shelter, here they come!! :)

19. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I made the same move - was offered an EP3 at a very good price recently - and haven't regretted it at all. I would say that you should definitely try the bigger grip - that's how mine arrived and it sits very nicely in the hand. I had the VF2 already as I prefer that style of shooting but I do find that I use the EP3 without more often now, which perhaps says something about the screen quality.

20. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    That was my initial concern but I think the advantages mentioned make it a worthwhile upgrade (AF assist, extra control, touchscreen, snapier performance etc). Especially with a good 2nd hand market at the moment. If I actually sell my E-PL2 the upgrade cost will be around $200-250.

GX1 would be fine I'm sure, but as mentioned by RevBob, IBIS is a big reason I'm sticking with Oly, among others including the fact I already have VF2.