E-P3 rattlesnaking?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, May 2, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I just got an E-P3, and it rattlesnakes. That is, it is constantly changing the aperture in live view. Fairly noticeable with the Oly 45, not nearly so much with the kit zoom but it's there. My E-PM1 does not do this -- the lens is always wide open in live view. Is this expected behavior for the P3?
  2. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I don't own the E-P3, but the E-PL1 and the E-P1. Both click with all lenses I own. It is not loud, but it is there. It's normal.
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got the E-P3 and the Oly 12, 17 and 45. None of them rattlesnake on mine. The only lens I have which rattlesnakes is the PL 25mm.
  4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    My EP3 does the same with the 45. I have not noticed it with the 12 or the 14-42. That being said, it's a very faint sound that I can't hear if the camera is not up to my eye. It is nothing like the noise level of the videos and reports about the panny 25 level of noise with Oly cameras. It does the same Auto, Aperture, or P mode whether using the a VF or the rear screen.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I hadn't noticed it with the 45 on my E-PM1 either. Odd that the E-P3 would be different.

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    What lenses do you use when you experience the rattlesnake? I'm going to shoot with my E-P3 exclusively this weekend, but in my limited testing with it over the last few weeks, I have not heard is rattlesnake on me at all. From what people have said on here, it's only really the PL25 that is the common denominator.

Lenses used:
    • 14-140
    • 7-14
    • PL45

Will definitely keep an ear out for it though...
  7. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    My 14mm does this with my EPL-1, especially in bright light/shade. Indoors, I don't notice it. I assume something to do with the wide variation in light levels.
  8. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Yes, it's the camera closing down the aperture of the lens when you aim it at something really bright so that it doesn't overexpose the Live View display.
  9. cjb169

cjb169 New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2012
    I noticed this with my EP-3 and newly acquired Panasonic 45-200 lens. I tuned off the optical stabilization on the Panny lens - but it definitely makes noise. It also has an electronic hum to it as well. This is my first Panasonic lens (all others are Olympus) and I have been using the 45mm f/1.8 (love it so much) for the past couple of weeks and no issues with any of my Olympus lenses. Any insights?
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Panasonic OIS lenses seem to hum regardless of the OIS being on or off, and this includes their older 4/3 DSLR lenses as well. It could be for the same reason that the E-M5 hums: because the lens element (or sensor in the E-M5's case) isn't "locked" in position but has to be suspended in place by the IS unit.