1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 raising shadows

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vinay, Apr 21, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    My E-P3 shows me a decent exposure on the back screen but once I load the RAW into lightroom, I can see that shadows were significantly pumped as part of JPEG processing (lightroom equivalent of 50 fill light) ... how do I turn this off so the back of the screen is more close to the RAW file?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Are you measuring exposure on the camera's LCD via histogram, or just apparent brightness? Note that the E-P3 uses an OLED which tends to make colors deeper and more saturated than they are in the actual image.

In any case, the closest match to Lightroom's defaults is the 'Natural' Picture mode, without any contrast or saturation boost.

DH

3. Make sure that "Gradation" is set to normal.

4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Apparent difference in relative brightness between brighter and darker parts of the scene .. the screen showed me a (guestimated) 0.5 stop difference and lightroom showed me a shocking (again, guestimated) 1.5 stop difference..

I think this may be it! I didn't realize picture modes had further sub menus , but mine was set to Auto (in Natural picture mode).. looking at some samples on the effect of "Gradation" ( Olympus E-P3 review | Cameralabs ) it appears Gradation is similar to Nikon's ADR (Auto Dynamic Range)

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Autogradation will certainly do that. That said, you really can't use relative screen brightness to accurately gauge exposure. OLEDs are not designed for color/contrast accuracy, and there's no serious calibration done on them.

DH