1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-p3 owners question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tardegardo, Feb 17, 2013.

1. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Hi guys,
    I know that this camera has a dedicated magnification button on the back, but I find it uncomfortable, too low maybe. I'd love to be able to assign the magnification function to Rec button. But there seems to be no way.
    Am I right?

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    You can reassign some functions to the red Rec button, but magnify is not one of them. I have it set to AF, or AEL, in two of my presets.

3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Are you using it for manual focus? If so you may be able to set magnification to turn on whenever you turn the focus ring on MF or S-AF+MF mode. I know I can on my E-PL5.

My menus are different from yours, so I can't tell you exactly where it is, but try in Custom Menu, look for MF Assist and turn it on.

P.

Edit: This only works for Native lenses, so may not be useful. Sorry, I didn't think my answer through all the way.

4. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy

Ahaha.. Exactly, that's good for native electronic lenses, not for my vintage ones.. Thank you btw...

5. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    You can assign magnification (x2) the fn2 button by the shutter on the e-p3. That's what my current setup is for my manual lenses.

6. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    could you please be more accurate?
    I tried but fn2 doesn't get any magnification function.

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I guess this is what he meant:

Button/Dial -> Button Function -> Fn2 Function -> Digital Tele-converter

8. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    ah ok, but teleconverter is not what i want…
    thank you btw

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    You can do the same also to the REC button. It's only x2 but you can use it to help MF and then switch back to x1 for framing. Helps a little bit but not much...

10. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Ok, then, I'll try it.
    Thanks again, everybody

11. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    One more question, guys:
    I shoot jpegs. And if I try to further underexpose a shot in low light, pushing the bar indicator all the way left, I see annoying smearing and artifacts in the darker parts of the shot itself. Black is not a nice and plain black; it's smeared, with artifacts and pixels…
    I tried everything, turning off nr, maximizing nr, changing the gradiation settings, lowering sharpness or contrast; nothing helps. With OM-D things were pretty different, I mean better. Should I resign miself to it? Is it how e-p3 manages underexposed shots?

12. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Is this happening only on the preview jpeg on the OLED screen or is it really that visible when viewing on bigger screen? I've noticed that same thing but since I shoot RAW the files look good after all when viewing them in Lightroom. So I have thought it's just the poor screen on the camera plus poor preview jpeg quality presented from the actual file.

13. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    I wish it was the camera display. But no. It happens on jpegs displayed on Aperture.

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Ok, then you might want to check your gradation setting is on normal, not on auto. It can be toggled in the super control panel (SCP) somewhere in the right side of the screen.

15. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Yes vivalo, as mentioned in my post I tried all graduation settings. Which is usually on normal though.

16. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    With this "first generation" 12mp sensor there is not a lot marginal in the shadow areas to lift back up in the post process. The auto gradation does exactly that before it saves the jpeg. Sometimes it does the job pretty well but not when you have high ISO setting or very dark shadows.

17. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Ok, my bad.

18. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Please consider also that it happens in high and low ISO as well

19. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran