1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 or E-Pl5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoheron, Jun 30, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I have spent the last couple weeks learning about the 4/3 systems and camera offerings between the two brands. Miss using a serious camera. I do have a small budget of no more then $750 to start with. I want to able to build a small system of lens, then advance to newer body as money allows.

Basically I'm looking at a discontinued E-P3 that is heavily discounted or a E-PL5 for slightly more money. To start my journey into the micro 4/3 world.

I been around cameras for a long time and consider myself a photo hobbyist.
    Would either one those cameras be a good starting point into micro 4/3.?

Everyone here has been very gracious in answering my questions. This is a great forum to educate on this unique system.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think they'd both be great starting points.

The E-PL5 has a better sensor -- the same one as the OM-D, I believe. Fewer manual controls though. It's a camera body that is going to last you longer.

However, given your budget you'd probably only have enough to buy one additional lens to go with the kit. If you go for the E-P3 you could add another, or one of the more expensive ones.

Which works for you best would depend on what sort of photography you plan on doing. Will you need a telephoto lens? A portrait lens? Do you prefer zoom lenses or primes?

3. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    At $349 for a kit with a 14-42mm lens, the EP3 is a tremendous value at the moment. Even with it's olders sensor, I seem to enjoy the SOOC jpgs that it produces. I do shoot in raw + jpg so I can massage any images I deem needs some post work. I just like how the feel of the EP3 is in the hands. I've been trying to learn it and some of it's quirks before it accompanies me to a cruise this coming week. The EP5 I heard is quite the mini powerhouse though. Same IQ as the OMD so you should be happy with that... Question is, will the $200 savings on the EP3 allow for some better glass in the long run. Whatever decision you make, it should be a good one. Cheers.

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Im very very happy with my ep3! If I were u and were in a small budget I would definitely buy it before the newer sensors, just becouse the crazy prizes in 200usd used etc.

5. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I enjoy nature photography, especially birds, (birds in flight is not a issue), flowers, landscapes. Buildings of all types old and new. A telephoto would be necessary, a marco lens. As time progresses my budget will allow me to add more to my system.
    I'm making a commitment to the 4/3 system, want to grow as my photography abilities grow with the system.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Then I would say go for the E-P3 with the kit 14-42mm zoom and add the 45-150 telephoto zoom (typically about $150 right now). That little kit with the two zooms would be a great starting point. The only time the older sensor in the E-P3 will be a factor is when you are shooting over ISO 1600. And even then you can get around a lot of noise issues at ISO 3200 by shooting raw.

After a while you might want to consider adding the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 prime lens for low-light work without flash and the 60mm f/2.8 macro prime lens. And think about adding the VF-2 electronic viewfinder for use in bright sunlight. Watch for sales on the VF-2 because Olympus has just introduced the even higher-resolution VF-4 EVF.

7. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Might want to consider a Panasonic GX1. You can get the body only for 200.00, that would give you a fair bit of your budget to spend on lenses.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I actually was considering the GX1 (and the Pany G5) but for the price ($299 for a kit EP3 with 14-42 lens), I went with the EP3. The 1 thing that both the gx1 and g5 didn't have that I wanted was the IBIS. Given that I may have the 40-150mm lens stuck on the camera, having the in body stabilization should help out quite a bit.

9. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Memphis
    Derek
    You could get the Epl5 with kit lens for $499 and the $150 40-150mm and still be under budget. I would get the EPL5 with that budget and add more lenses later. Maybe get the $40 macro adapter for the kit to hold you over while saving up for the $500 60mm.

10. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
    E-P3 vs. E-PL5

I have both of them and I like the E-PL5 more because of its higher dynamic range. However, the E-P3 has its advantages with better controls and 3D capability with all lenses. The larger grip is IMHO a must for both of them.
    Greetings, Mike

11. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    If you don't to shoot much at high ISO get the E-P3 and buy better glass. I have no issues with the E-P3 at ISO 1600 and below. But I rarely ever shoot above ISO 800. I have always done this in the past even when I owned a Nikon D300.

If you expose correctly DR is not an issue. I still use my ancient LX3 all the time and I don't have any DR issues with that camera either. Shoot raw, learn to expose correctly and if you use LR DR is even less of am issues since the local adjustment brushes are fantastic!

I plan to eventually buy an E-P5 but not because of the newer sensor. What I really want are the added controls of the E-P5. This alone will make using M a huge pleasure since I'm not a fan of the main dial in the E-P3 & E-PL5.

12. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    I bought the E-PL3 on a great father's day sale here in the USA - It was $250 with the 14-42 kit lens. According to dpreview it said it was essentially the same as the E-P3. Then, just for fun, I bought the E-P2 for $209, brand new in box, no lens (but included battery, charger, etc, etc). At $200, that's coffee money for a couple of months pretty much. Two or three years ago I am sure all the talk was "should I buy the E-P2 or the E-P3?" - LOL. My thoughts are, why shell out for the latest and greatest since (and this has been going on for some time now) in a year or two the crowd will have jumped to the newest latest and greatest and you can then pick up the E-P5 at that time. If you are at all inclined to use legacy glass, then the E-P3 is the way to go in my opinion. Good luck and share some pictures!

13. gregorywe

gregorywe Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I prefer the E-P3 except for situations where there is low light or very high dynamic range. Its handling is excellent

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have both the E-pl5 and E-p3 and enjoy them in the same way. I love them both and don't have any thing negative to say. Yes one limit could be low-light with normal lens. But really haven't had any complaints in iso performance. Where the difference is noteable (apart the sensor) is handling. E-p3 is a joy to use, e-pl5 a bit less but nothing you can't live with.
    As said above you now how and where you shoot, so if you do mostly low-light high iso get the E-pl5 otherwise the E-p3 is an excellent starting point, and with money saved get another piece of good glass.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Might also give the E-PM2 some consideration. Same excellent image quality as the E-PL5, but without the tilt screen and mode dial and around $100 less.

But if you're looking for bang for the buck, you really can't beat the Panasonic G5 kits that are selling these days for <$500 include 14-42 and 45-150 lenses (both stabilized).