1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 or E-PL3?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm surprised no one has leaked the E-PL3 photos yet. I assume that some of the rumor sites have the press kit photos but haven't shared just yet. Any minute now :popcorm2:.

43 Rumors had the following to say about the E-PL3:
    There will also be the E-PM1, slightly smaller than the E-PL3 and minus the flip LCD.

For me the decision is between the E-P3 and E-PL3 and comes down to the following:
    • I want my camera to look like the E-P3 (not an XZ-1)
    • I want a beautiful OLED screen (E-P3)
    • I want a flip LCD (E-PL3)
    • Smaller is better (E-PL3)

This is not going to be an easy decision! Assuming the rumors are true, which Pen do you think you'll be ordering?

2. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm kinda glad now that I already bought my E-PL2 with pop up flash. But out of those two I would like the E-P3 since it has the flash built in. I don't use flash often but I wouldn't want to have an external for those few times. Especially if its a friendly gathering or at a restaurant. Also glad I already got the E-PL2 since the price of the E-P3 will probably cost more than I spent.

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I would love nex type flash addon. It would define what mu43 is all about. Small yet powerful.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Unless there is a significant flaw, it will likely be the e-pm1 for me - I think it'll be a great pair to my coming (tomorrow) e-p2!

5. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I'm wondering which one for me too. And for me, cost will be a consideration too.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If they say it looks like the XZ-1, maybe they mean it's small like one? I mean, an XZ-1 looks kinda like a miniature PEN already.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's hard to say without seeing the E-PL3, but odds are I'll go with the new E-P3. I currently have an E-PL1 that I adore, but I want the extra dials. Having to push buttons repeatedly to change an aperture setting for example, is really annoying.

<user interface rambling>
    I remember getting my first Creative Nomad. This was a year or two before the first ipod - the Nomad was one of the first (if not first) portable mp3 music players that had a hard drive. But the UI was terrible. Imagining having to scroll through your music collection using 2 buttons: next and previous.

Then came the iPod with the scrollwheel. Finally someone understands how to navigate linear options!
    <end ramble>

I think all cameras that are adjustable should have dials. Buttons are only good for certain options... Touchscreens are great, but sometimes you need tactile feedback too (not to mention, using a touchscreen requires you to well, actually look at it!)

But anyway, I'm super excited that the E-P3 has a flash. If the E-PL3 had a flash as well as that articulated screen, well the decision would be a lot harder... Cost might be a factor as well.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I disagree. I think they should come with intelligent voice recognition software, so you can mutter under your breath, "Faster!", and you will get a higher shutter speed.

Just kidding, I agree with you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Well, The picture is up of E-PM1. It certainly looks promising. I am curious how the e-pl3 will look now. I hate how Olympus differentiate models by minor changes which combined would make the camera more efficient. The worst thing is even if you get the best model you still cant get all the features. At least Panasonic has good thing going with the G3. It has all the features but still pretty small. But it does not have built in stabilization or Oly colors. I cant wait to see direct comparisons of models between Olympus and Panasonic.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Eh? Flip screen only on the EPL3??

Hopefully, I won't be ordering any of the new PENS!! Gulp ... famous last words.

I'd like to order the 12/2 for sure! And hopefully, we'll see a release on a fast portrait lens. And a fast zoom.

11. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    EP4

I didnt miss a flash or a tilt screen on my EP2.

Better AF : any
    Better DR : any
    Better screen : EP3
    Weight : EPL3
    Included optical/ EVF : EPX ?

In fact i am hesitating at buying a 12mm and waiting for EP4, since i got the 14-150 my EP2 AF is close to decent enough for child photos.
    Unless there is a big gap in image quality i may be able to restrain myself as i am happy with the results from my EP2.
    My print size being roughly :
    EP2 ( 20mm (70%) + 14-150mm (30%): 10"x30" ( 1%) , 12" x 16 " ( 30% ) 8" x 12 " (45% ) 12"x12" and 8"x8" (15%)
    LX3 : 8"x16" (9%)

But there is the tentation to keep the EP2 + 14-150 and lend it to my wife and use the EP(L)3 with 12 + 20mm....

• Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I personally plan to let you guys do all the testing and decide later. This is an obvious decision since I don't have the money now anyway.

13. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Frankly, if those are the only spec difference between the EPL-3 and EP3 and mini I don't see very many if any EPL-3 really being sold.

I think the shutter speed with be maxed out at 1/2000s on the EPL-3 (and hopefully so) so the extra stop, onboard flash (hopefully enough for fill flash) and much better screen on the EP-3 will really justify making the leap to the flagship version.

The mini could be a great pocketable camera and draw customers away from the S95 crowd if ISO performance is there when couple with a really thin pancake.

So not really sure why even launch the EPL-3... surely there must be something to it over the EPM-3 and not the EP-3.. just haven`t seen yet what it could be.

14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It's going to be a tough decision..

I currently own an E-P1 and G1...which I think complement each other nicely; happy to have a foot in each camp. Having all these new models from O&P have added a lot to think about. While the new PENs look like a worthy upgrade as the performance gap will likely be closed substantially with sub-1k$ DSLRs...they still seem to have a few quirks or omissions for each of the models, as the existing PEN lineup has. I can see good points for both the PL3 and P3. I might be swayed by pricing/sales...though the styling of the EP3 might overtake rational decisions.

15. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    What's to like about the E-PL3? The tilting LCD. Some find that a very useful feature.

Assuming the rumors are reasonably accurate in their details, each of the three cameras has its appeal and something that the others don't.

16. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    For online sales that may be fine but at retail, I find it very very very hard to believe that most major retailers will want all 3. Way to hard to justify shelf space were every cm has to hit certain revenue targets and if the difference is really just a low res tilt screen. I really hope Olympus isn't doing that.

If the performance is there in regards to DR, ISO and Speed... i don't see how a tilt screen is really gonna make difference to anyone to not get the EP3 and get the EPL-3. If the ISO performance isn't there to at least clean 6400, then they won't sell well anyway moving forward as the PENs wouldn`t have improved to the current level of cameras in X100, NEX etc.

The amount of marketing, manufacturing support etc. just to have a seperate camera with a tilt screen is silly. If its trully that important of a selling feature that it justifies building a seperate camera for it, then they should have really just thrown it into the EP-3 and added $20 to the cost of the camera. Maybe then we should wait and get it in an EP-3x that would come out 6 months later.

Eagerly waiting for tomorrows presentations... might have to get a second job to buy both cameras and some of those ultra fast focus lens and hopefully the 14-45 has the uf focus and the 12 wide and 45 portrait. Ive been hesistant to buy anything for my EP2 as I keep eyeing that X100 and nice pics coming from it but lack of interchangable lens keep me waiting for what the EP3 is gonna do.

17. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah I find myself wondering what Olympus is doing with all these new models in such a short amount of time. Remember the E-PL1s that was released right before the E-PL2? And, how many times do they need to redesign the 14-42mm? My 14-42II is not even 6 months old and it is now being updated again. It all looks like bad planning to me, but then again I am not a camera company executive.

Anyway, I'll probably sit out this round of updates and wait for the next batch of cameras in 3 to 6 months. :tongue:

18. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    The 14-42mm Mark I had a major flaw and seems to have been rushed as it had wobble to it so hence the MarkII. As for the R, seems its specific to the new fast focus tech and based on some reading, might have an IR coating to it element to it for the fast focus element.

I guess that is were digital vs. film lets us down a bit. Having to upgrade to keep up with technology advancements which are much much more rapid then the old analog days where advancements were done in years or decades vs. months.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree, the Mark II version of the 14-42mm is a really important redesign. That lens really needed internal focus and solid control. The next iteration will probably be a minor, unimportant upgrade.

20. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Now that I've seen them...me thinks the E-PL3 looks a bit more interesting.