E-P3 or E-PL2? (or E-P2?)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Frunch, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    I placed an order a couple weeks ago for a new E-P3(w/ the 17mm/2.8) and in the meantime have been watching some great deals surfacing in the wake of it's release. I'm at the point I'm considering canceling the order for the E-P3 and putting the money towards an E-PL2 for $400 or even the E-P2 body-only for $330. I don't have any lenses for m4/3 except the kit zoom that is included with the E-P3(I bought that separately from a member here). I figure I can save over $500 and still get a good camera(though not an E-P3), then put most of that saved money into one of those sweet 45mm/1.8 Oly primes. Is it worth the extra money to get the E-P3, or would an E-PL2 or even an E-P2 be a better choice considering I'd be getting a better lens along with it? This will be my first camera in the m4/3 format, and I'm starting to think the fact that IQ doesn't sound like it's much better than previous models means I should invest in good glass now. Then I could pick up an E-P3 at a much lower price(like the E-P2 and E-PL2 appear to be selling at right now) in a year or 2 if I still want one, and already have a good lens or 2 to pair up with it. If I decide to keep the E-P3, I'll still save up and get the good lenses but it'll be a few months before I get there. Is the E-P3 worth the extra $? If not, is the E-PL2 the better choice over the E-P2 at a $70 difference? I'm going to continue researching these cameras anyway, but would love some input from fellow forum members.

Thanks! :smile:

Trevor

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've been debating the same thing. Essentially the E-P3 is double the price of the E-PL2 with some of the deals out there. I just don't know if if the E-PL2 will suite my needs. The E-P3 I know will, but that is a bit of some coin difference. Between teh E-P2 and E-Pl2, I think I'd choose the E-Pl2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    IF I were trying to make that choice I would likely go with an E-PL2 over an E-P2 or E-P3. I don't find the advantages of the E-P3 are something that would make it worth the extra money. I have an E-PL2 at work and I have never thought of it as slow. I don't particularly like the kit lens but with a Panasonic 20 or 14 attached the E-PL2 seems fine speed wise. The OLED on the E-P3 is nice as well but I much prefer using an EVF so the OLED by itself wouldn't be enough to justify the switch and I don't care for touch screen interfaces (both my G2 and GF2 have them). I don't hate them but again it's not enough to make me want to buy a camera. The EP-3 is a terrific camera but for my needs I would have a tough time justifying the extra money over the E-PL2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Some more food for thought on going with the E-PL2/P2 now... you will have an extra Oly battery and charger for when you do go to the newer E-P3, as well as a backup body (maybe for rough duty). Also, most of the accessories you purchase now will work with the E-P3, for example, the EVF. With your choices, I think I would go for an E-P2 + great lens (e.g. 20mm f1.7) + EVF now, with a plan to move to the E-PL3 or E-P3 when prices come down.

I ended up with an E-P2 and E-P3 arriving on the same day. I was too tempted by the body deal and P3 preorder came earlier than expected. I gave the E-P3 to my wife at first and used the E-P2. I think it is a great camera!

My problem was that I had the opportunity to also use my wife's camera and I started to notice that mine didn't focus as fast, save RAWs as quickly and the screen wasn't as big and bright. If you do go with the E-PL2/P2, just make sure not to play with an E-P3 and you won't know what you don't know! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Haven't there been some issues with the E-P3 and the VF2? I was under the impression that the VF2 does not work smoothly with the E-P3. Is that correct?

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yes, it sounds like there is an infrequent issue if the touchscreen is enabled while the EVF is used. I am assuming that this would be fixed by a firmware update.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, it works fine. The issue is the touch screen. If you are the kind of person who holds the EVF up to your eye while making adjustments with the buttons, then you have to be aware that ANY contact with the touch screen (including your nose) shuts off the buttons. So, you cant touch the touch screen and adjust buttons at the same time. You need to get your nose or finger off the touch screen.

So, the VF3 works fine with that one quirk. But functionally, its excellent.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you can save $500, that should completely cover the purchase of an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.

That being the case, I would get the E-PL2 + 45mm f/1.7, myself. Just put in the order together with the money saved for the E-P3. You won't want to waste a minute of not being able to enjoy both together. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I recently went on vacation and picked up E-P2 as a second body to my 6 months old E-PL2. What a pain was it to use (compared to E-PL2). I sold it immidiately upon return. Choosing focus point and magnification was very annoying while it's a breeze with E-PL2. Also, E-P2 is definately slower and less responsive camera. The screen is very low res, kinda brings you back in time. The absence of built-in flash was a hassle in the sun (for fill-in). Also, the grip on E-PL2 is MUCH more comfortable.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Plus the E-PL2 has twice the LCD screen resolution, which really helps with manual focusing. :) I agree, I wouldn't go back to an E-P1 or E-P2 after the E-PL2... but now we have the E-P3 to step forward to. xD

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    If they had simply given the E-PL2 the new E-PL3's flip-up screen and internal performance upgrades, instead of putting those on a P&S body, I would seriously be thinking about switching to Olympus. However, I don't like the actual new E-PL3 or E-P3 enough to change. As it is, I'm still thinking about trying to get my hands on an E-PL2 (I think that they are actually sold in a local store, unlike most of the Panasonics) just to see how I like it. Ideally, if I were to trade all of my Lumix stuff in (well, maybe I'd keep the 20mm), I get a silver E-PL2 w/ silver V-2 or VF-3, silver 14-42mm IIR, silver 40-150mm IIR, 12mm/f2, and 45mm f/1.8 (maybe pick up a cheap silver 17mm if one pops up.) That would be a nice looking and shooting package.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks for everyones suggestions, I finally pulled the trigger for a new black E-PL2! Found a good deal on ebay for $425.

Next up, 20mm 1.7 lens and probably a VF-2...:biggrin:

Thanks again for everyones input, it helped a lot!:smile:

Trevor

13. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    enjoy your new toy!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Cool...come back and share some pictures when you have a chance. Congrats!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. misctwo

misctwo New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2011
    I too was on the fence when researching the E-P2 and the E-PL2. This thread locks it up for me! Now, all I need to do now is choose the color..I like the white but ill probably get sick of it. Can't go wrong with black I guess.

I love the body design of the E-Px series but didn't like the lack of flash,reported slow focus behavior of the first two, and the $900 price of the E-P3 made me gag.

The E-PL1 was ugly and was nominally better than the E-P2. Also I had to factor the price of a nice prime lens into the equation, specifically the panasonic 20mm.

I have used my 1st generation Digital Rebel for about 10 years now and I'm ready to move on!

Side question, Pawngo.com offered me $150 for it, is that a decent price? Thought you camera buffs might know..

This forum rocks!

16. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Can I ask why not the E-PL3?

Wormwood

17. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    E-PL2, no doubt!

18. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I believe it was the money issue. Cheap BUT good ;-)

19. misctwo

misctwo New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep. The e-pl3 had features that I really didn't like.. A 16:9 LCD for a 4:3 camera? Odd. I guess it's for the 1080i movies; I'm not interested at all in that. Also I have no need for the tilting LCD.

All these features are considered upgrades from the PL2, hence the additional $200 in price and my disinterest.

The e-p3 is gorgeous and looks like the perfect blend between p+s and slr..it's the price that gets me.

20. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    So you guys don't think the vast improvement when it comes to focusing of the latest oly cameras will really be noticeable on the panny 20mm (which based on the reviews I read is an admittedly slower focusing lens compared to the newer ones)?

I was thinking of getting the e-pm1 + 20mm + vf3 for a fraction more than the g3. Sure I'd lose some direct controls but I'll have a really small camera and an option of EVF when needed (on broad daylight). But if focusing with the 20mm will affect the e-pm1's assumed fast focusing, then maybe an e-pl2 is a better choice?