1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 OLED screen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Mar 26, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am a EVF lovin' sort and I recently got a very nice E-P3 (I tried to trade it but that's another matter) and I have a VF2 that I used with an E-PM1 I used to have (lovely but a bit too small for my hands). Unfortunately,I really don't care for the VF2. I also have a Panasonic G2 and IMHO the built-in EVF is better and combined with the swivel LCD more useful for my needs. I also find the VF2 perched atop the camera makes it ungainly and quite frankly ugly (which is a feat considering it is a pretty handsome camera). A lot of folks have said that the OLED screen on the E-P3 is GREAT and terrific even in bright light. From the little bit I tried it the last few sunny days here I can't see that is any more useful than the LCD on the E-P1 in bright light.

Are there any secrets or tricks to using the E-P3 outside sans EVF? I am at least fortunate to live in the PNW so the number of actually sunny days is limited but we do have them. I do rather like the E-P3 and would like to make this work if possible. The more I play with it the more I appreciate its flexibility and I am starting to figure out ways to work around its quirks.

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I assume you've cranked up the screen brightness to max? With my E-p3 I never had a problem with composition in bright light - only MF with legacy lenses.

3. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    would cranking up the screen brightness effect how one would perceive exposure?

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    In my experience the answer is 'no'. The brightness adjustment maintains contrast, so that it looks natural - very much like changing screen brightness on a smartphone. Of course, in very bright light, even the human eye has trouble with 'exposure'! This is why I only rely on the LCD for composition and reading the settings, etc, not as a good determinate of exposure (I use the histogram or 'blinkies' for that).

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll check on the brightness. I'm not too concerned with manual focus. The G2 is really my go to camera for that. The E-P3 will see my Panasonic 20 and Olympus 45.