1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-P3 OLED screen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Mar 26, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am a EVF lovin' sort and I recently got a very nice E-P3 (I tried to trade it but that's another matter) and I have a VF2 that I used with an E-PM1 I used to have (lovely but a bit too small for my hands). Unfortunately,I really don't care for the VF2. I also have a Panasonic G2 and IMHO the built-in EVF is better and combined with the swivel LCD more useful for my needs. I also find the VF2 perched atop the camera makes it ungainly and quite frankly ugly (which is a feat considering it is a pretty handsome camera). A lot of folks have said that the OLED screen on the E-P3 is GREAT and terrific even in bright light. From the little bit I tried it the last few sunny days here I can't see that is any more useful than the LCD on the E-P1 in bright light.

Are there any secrets or tricks to using the E-P3 outside sans EVF? I am at least fortunate to live in the PNW so the number of actually sunny days is limited but we do have them. I do rather like the E-P3 and would like to make this work if possible. The more I play with it the more I appreciate its flexibility and I am starting to figure out ways to work around its quirks.

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I assume you've cranked up the screen brightness to max? With my E-p3 I never had a problem with composition in bright light - only MF with legacy lenses.

3. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    would cranking up the screen brightness effect how one would perceive exposure?

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    In my experience the answer is 'no'. The brightness adjustment maintains contrast, so that it looks natural - very much like changing screen brightness on a smartphone. Of course, in very bright light, even the human eye has trouble with 'exposure'! This is why I only rely on the LCD for composition and reading the settings, etc, not as a good determinate of exposure (I use the histogram or 'blinkies' for that).

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll check on the brightness. I'm not too concerned with manual focus. The G2 is really my go to camera for that. The E-P3 will see my Panasonic 20 and Olympus 45.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.