E-P3 Manual Focus Qs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Djarum, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    For those that have the E-P3....

One of the annoyances I have with the E-P1 is exposure compensation with manual focus. Basically, lets say the scene requires a +.7 EV. If I am in A mode, and bump the EV up, Live view now shows the adjusted image. But, when I go to manaul focus with zoom, the live view then goes back to its own metered 0EV. I've also ran into this in manual mode as well, when I want to over or under expose the scene and use manual focus with zoom, the magnified area goes back to what the camera thinks 0EV is.

This becomes a real issue when taking bird shots. If the bird is dark, for example, I boost the EV up to expose the bird properly. When I go to the manual focus with zoom box, the view goes back to 0EV, making it really difficult to manual focus. The same problem occurs on bright subjects as well, if I want to underexpose, but I manually focus on a highlight area with the zoomed in view, the view is back to 0EV, and the highlight area becomes too bright to adjust manual focus.

So the question is, does the E-P3 still have this issue?

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Just tested mine...had never noticed. The answer is "Yes". The magnify reverts to unadjusted EV.

OTOH, in such situations I wonder if, rather than adj EV, changing to Spot/SpotHI/SpotLO would help? This combined with the E-P3s ability to change the size of the metering pt would go a long way toward getting the correct exposure for that small bird.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks for testing. I don't think changing to high key or low key spot metering makes a difference in the ep1. Ill have to try that out this evening. its easier for me to adjust ev than the metering mode. Good suggestion. Ill report back my findings tonight.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The EP3 box does seem much smaller than the EP1 (my EP1 is into Oly service, so I can't test them together at the moment). Not sure if that would impact metering, but it might (as Tom pointed out).