E-P3, Lightroom 4, and Camera Profiles

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Heavy Doody, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi all. I'm new to the forum and to mirrorless cameras. This might be as much an editing question as it is an Olympus question. I hope I chose the right forum to post in.

I typically shoot with Canon DSLRs.

I recently picked up an Olympus E-P3. Typically, the first adjustment I make in Lightroom (per the Scott Kelby 7-point system) is to choose a camera profile. It's a fantastic head start.

However, when I shoot with my E-P3, I only get "Adobe Standard" as an option. I don't get my other go-to choices (Camera Vivid and Camera Landscape).

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that the number of choices you get is driven by the camera. Is this correct?

Is there a way to make the other choices available to me? Can anyone recommend presets that emulate those choices?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    That's correct. Adobe creates presets emulating the camera's own JPEGs output, but only for certain manufacturers. So Olympus and Panasonic (among several others) don't have anything beyond Adobe Standard.

I don't have any specific presets, but most Olympus in-camera settings rely on higher contrast and saturation than the Adobe defaults. To approximate 'Natural', I invariably set the tone curve to 'Medium' and bump saturation to +10 or so. The blue channel's hue and saturation seem to need some tweaking too (increased saturation, push hue toward purple slightly).

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Adobe hasn't produced any other profiles for M4/3 cameras other than the "Adobe Standard" profile. They have the "Camera Vivid" and "Camera Landscape" profiles for some other cameras, mainly Nikon and Canon cameras but they may do it for a couple of other cameras, but we only get the Adobe Standard profile.

You can do a search here for some profiles for M43 cameras if you search for threads with the word "Huelight" in the title. The person who made them available seems to have disappeared from this forum and I'm not certain on the availability of his profiles at the moment but he did have a profile for the E-M5 and I think he had one for the E-P3 as well. If you can't get one from the link in the thread, you could try posting a request in that thread and asking if anyone who downloaded them at the time they were available can make a copy available to you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Interesting, I've been using LR more than Photoshop lately, I'll have to give this a try - thanks!