1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 larger grip and larger eyepiece for VF2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been trying to find ways to make my E-P3 more comfortable to use so I purchased the EP9 (larger) grip and the larger eyecup for the VF2. First off, the grip is terrific. Every E-P3 should come with one because it makes a huge difference in how the camera handles. It's easy grab, your finger are positioned better and I find that my thumb hits the scroll wheel a lot less (accidentally) now. It even improves the way the camera looks. The larger eyepiece is another matter...I wear glasses and it put my eyes farther back from the VF2 making the view appear much smaller. I can see where it might be really nice in bright light if you don't wear glasses but it's not a good option for me because of the smaller size. By comparison view in the built-in EVF on my G2 looks HUGE.

In the end its not a huge problem. I am learning to use the E-P3 with just the rear screen.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I forgot to mention...the larger grip is made from a rubbery material that works GREAT as a grip. I love it.

3. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ditto on the large grip. It really improves the handling of he EP3. I haven't tried the larger eyepiece, but was thinking about it. Shooting with the GH2 for Single in January had me getting used to the viewfinder again, after a few years of shooting mainly using the back screen.

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got both also, and glasses also.

The grip is definitely a must have. It's the grip that should have been included with the camera, in fact I can't see why they have the smaller grip. The large grip really just feels right no matter what lens I use.

Glasses and the eyecup are more problematic. Yes, it does mean your eye is further away and that means I have to make an effort to see all 4 corners of the viewfinder. That can be annoying but, against that, it also blocks stray light much better than the original eyepiece up against my glasses did and that's a plus for me here in a sub-tropical zone with bright, harsh daylight. On balance I prefer the eye cup to the original eye piece but there is a plus and minus to it.

5. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    +1 :smile:

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the larger grip is ESSENTIAL. And speaking as one who doesn't wear glasses, the eyecup works great at sealing out light and makes a great viewfinder even better. Sorry it doesn't help those of you who wear glasses.

7. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I wish oly made a larger grip for the em-5 similar to the ep-3. As it is, the battery grip for the em-5 is just too expensive for what I want it for (not the vertical grip, just the horizontal).

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I can see the eyecup working well in bright light (especially so for folks not wearing glasses). It'll still be useful. I'll try it out as soon as we have some more bright sunny weather and see how well it does.