1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3.... is anyone going gripless?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luke, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    That new E-P3 is so sleek without the grip attached. Is anyone leaving it in that state? I was looking at a leather half-case that looks like it was designed to go over the body WITHOUT the grip attached, and it looks very slick, too. New Gariz Leather Dark Brown Half Case fr EP3 E-P3 | eBay

Any opinions? FWIW, I'm usually a wrist-strap kinda guy so dropping the camera is not a worry. I'm also not an E-P3 owner, but it doesn't cost anything to go window shopping. And I was thinking of selling off some gear, so maybe.......

2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^ Prob my favorite half-case out for the E-P3 right now. Metal base plate, d-ring, battery access.

I'd chuck my grip across the street if I had that case...only gripe is, at that price I wish it had a lid/lens cover too so I can just throw it in my bag.

3. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Any thoughts on the case from Olympus itself? The CS-29 FBC - has a half shoe and then a case that clips(?) on.

The other factor is will a half case and a skin work together. I have skinned my PEN-3 and it feels great now just wondering if the extra mm of skin will clash with a shoe.

Wormwood

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    My wife is always telling me I got to get a grip...

5. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

I started without the grip and used a neck strap. When shooting with a wrist strap the grip is perfect for keeping a grip in all situations. The beauty of a removable grip is you can put it on or take it off whenever.....:wink:

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Had mine for two weeks along with the new panny 25, and grip hasn't come out of the wrapper yet. It's so sleek in silver, I just can't be bothered to grip it but I'm sure in time I'll eventually try it with.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That looks really nice. I am fully gripless now that I got my Aki Asahi covering:

6134097512_4cc8ceb92d_z.

Reminds me of my OM-2N, FM2A, etc. Really like the feel!

8. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Did you get the piece that covers the back button area? That would look sweet on my Silver E-P3...:cool:

9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I too am gripless with the Aki-Asahi skin. I got both front and back pieces - fits perfectly...

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I did. Fits beautifully.

11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I am gripless. Then again, I only use my E-P3 with pancakes and the kit lens - no big tele's on it (yet... if ever)

I don't plan on getting a grip - the sleek silver is the bee's knees for me!

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Wow, so the informal poll shows many (if not most) are not using the grip. It's funny that often people complain that grips aren't big enough and smooth cameras are too hard to hold and then when they give us the option, we go without.

• Like Like x 1
  13. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Luke I had to get a grip!

I've tried both grips as well as gripless and all three modes work fine.

I prefer the MCG-2 big grip as the ergo's suit me better and the camera is quicker to the eye for me. However opening the USB door requires removal of the MCG-2 (5 seconds). If you like to use half-cases (as I do) you have to get these weird looking half cases with part of it lopped off... The E-P1/E-P2 have a nice balanced half case.

14. joseetan

joseetan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    Hong Kong
    The stock grip that came with the cam was basically useless so I opted for the optional large Olympus grip and Aki Asahi skin. Both of these have improved my E-P3's handling, increasing grip substantially with their rubbery surfaces.

Best
    José

photo-Edit.

15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The E-P3 is just balanced like that. :smile:

Plus, this is the first camera where my hands are all over the place for different types of shots. I'm always quickly switching between shutter focus, touch focus, and touch shooting depending on the shot. I get more involved but maybe because it's the honeymoon stage and I want to be. :tongue:

With the E-PL1 my hand was just fixed in one position.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If a man wants to go gripless in the privacy of his own home that's his business.
    :eek:

17. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    José,

Where did you find the larger grip, online or locally?

Second question - do you have an riser on the shutter button?

Nice p0rn shot with the 12mm & skin..... almost seems too good so it must be wrong!

Wormwood

18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That's an easy one to explain. People who are happy, do not post. People who are unhappy complainers, tend to post. A LOT. Like the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

19. joseetan

joseetan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    Hong Kong
    hi wormwood,

thanks! :smile: got the large grip here in hong kong for around usd27 and yes, i have sort of a soft release on the shutter button...not screwed in, but stuck on, made by a korean company called gariz

best
    josé

20. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I did the same, with the same result..

I bought the grip on ebay from Japan...