e-p3 file names ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by raphpict, Jan 27, 2012.

1. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi !
    I bought an e-p3 few weeks ago and now wonder how it is naming the picture files.
    I shoot RAW+JPG and get files named: "P", then 7 figures ".JPG" and same name with ".ORF" for the RAW file.
    What i don't understand is the first 2 to 3 numbers...and how i can deal with it in my workflow and backup.
    If you know the way it works...
    Have a nice week-end,
    raphpict

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    What do you PP with?

I use Aperture, but I believe Lightroom, etc, offer similar capabilities. In the import dialogue you can rename the files. I prefer using the date/time. The Master File name doesn't change by default. Using this approach the default camera file names don't matter.

Hope this helps! :smile:

3. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    P is just the default prefix... maybe for "picture" (like other manufactures use IMG prefix for image). Here's the breakdown:

PMDD####.ORF where M = month, D = day, and #### = 0001 - 9999.

Note that M will go from 1-9, then A, B, C, to account for Oct., Nov., Dec.

I wonder what would happen if you took more than 9,999 pictures in the same day...? :)

Hope this helps.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    P is the default prefix for when the sRGB color model is used, but if the Adobe RGB color model is used, then _ is the default prefix. This is all customizable, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    When I had my E-PL1 I customized it so the file prefix was EPL.

Now with my E-P3 I've customized it to be EP3. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ned, are you saying the naming scheme is customizable in-camera? I'd like to try the protocol used by starlabs.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes, you can set this in-camera. That's what I did with those 2 file prefixes. This is from the E-PM1 manual, page 87. But this also applies to E-P3 (I'm assuming E-PL3 as well).

OlySetting1.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Thanks !
    I really appreciate this forum...

9. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi all !
    Just wondering...from what i understand, there is no "year" in the name of the file...does that mean that i'll have to be very careful when my camera turns 1 year old ?
    files will have the same name...:mad:

10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Do you put all of your images into one folder? If so, yes, you may have an issue occasionally (though still rarely, since the four digit number is a continuous count, rather than resetting to 1 on each day, I believe (at least it is on my E-M5). Still...folders are a good thing for image organization.