1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 Custom Art Filter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elduderino, Nov 22, 2011.

1. elduderino

elduderino Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Been searching around to see what this actually does, but I can't find it's function or how to change it. If possible, I'd love to remove the grain (or at least tone it down) on the Grainy Film art filter. I love the contrasty black and white, but the grain is just too much for me. I already recreated the filter pretty closely in Aperture, but it would be nice to have it all done in the camera. (If anyone wants the preset, just let me know)

Sorry if this question is an easy one. I just made the switch from a Nikon DSLR setup I seldom took out except to do portraits, to the Oly. Still getting used to it, and I find the menus pretty cumbersome and confusing. :confused:

2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

To edit the art filters, go into the menus and
    Shooting Menu 1 > Picture Mode > Grainy Film > I (select I or II)

I'm not sure if this is what you need though (less contrasty?)

One thing you can try:

First make sure you have all the menus turned on (Menu>Settings>Menus IIRC).

Go to A or P mode or whatever you're using
    Press OK
    Select C for custom where it lets you select your color style (vivid, natural, monochrome etc.)

Then press menu and set
    Shooting Menu 1 > Picture Mode > Custom > Picture Mode > Monotone
    Shooting Menu 1 > Picture Mode > Custom > Contrast > +2
    ... plus whatever other options you like

Now when you select C for custom you will get b&w with higher (but maybe still not enough) contrast.

I'm sure there is also a way to do this with the "Myset" presets 1-4 which you can assign to one of the buttons. I haven't tried this though.

I always just shoot JPEG + RAW so I can do whatever in camera and then work on the RAW later in Aperture if I want to get serious. I wish I had figured this out when I was taking my first shots with the e-p3 because I got some nice ones with Grainy Film but I was bummed out when I loaded them on the computer because of those huge grains. It only looks good on the camera screen.

I'm a new user as well so I'd be interested if anyone else has a better solution.

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this post makes me miss the white/blackboard filters from my Oly c3030zoom:frown:

4. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I've got something to add on to this thread. Just now I printed some 4x6s of images I had taken with the Grainy Film filter and the prints don't look bad at all. They're fairly realistic, really. I guess they just look overdone on my computer.

Now I don't hate it. I'm still shooting JPEG+RAW though.