1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P3 Blank Screen with 17mm lens.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Stevo, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Stevo

Stevo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I was delighted to finally get my E-P3 today with the 17mm kit! The first thing I did was play with an adapted OM 50mm 1.8 lens, which worked perfectly. When I attached the 17mm lens all I got was a blank screen, the menus and iso/shutter speed metering are working but nothing was showing up on screen (lens cap off) I hope its a beginner mistake or something simple that I've done that would have caused this. Any help is welcome thanks!

-Stevo

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Stevo, I had a similar sounding problem when I had failed to rotate a lens all the way to the locked position, and my screen was blank when I turned the camera on. Try removing and then re-installing the lens, making sure you twist it all the way to lock.

3. Stevo

Stevo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    Hey Mike thanks for the response! I've managed to twist the lens on and off a couple times and it finally worked! I'm guessing it could be the factory fresh coating on the lens contact points that wore off? Weird indeed.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Try cleaning the contacts. Hopefully that'll prevent the issue from occurring again.

Glad that you got it working though!

5. Stevo

Stevo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    thanks! Yeah I think it was a contact issue, just needed to be broken in :smile:

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I sometimes still have that issue - regardless of lens. Reseating the lens clears it up. I've cleaned the contacts. Will keep an eye on it...

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know about dirty contacts but when the lens isn't all the way twisted on such that the locking pin does not fully extend then the result is as described.