E-P3 Battery

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nandystam, Sep 29, 2011.

1. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi folks

Well my quest for a camera has come to an end, with the E-P3 being the winner :)

In any case, I was looking for good aftermarket BLS-1 batteries. I've seen the Maximal Power batteries have been recommended, but unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship those to Australia :(

I'm also told Australian stock of the E-P3 comes with a charger that can only charge the BLS-1, not the BLS-5 battery. So my choices are a bit limited.

If you know another place where I could get them shipped from, or have other good alternatives for a BLS-1, I'm all ears.

2. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi nandystam and congratulations on your choice.

I'm biased because it's the same choice I made and mine came down to the EP3 and Nex-5N. After the worldwide warranty recall on the Sony I'm feeling relieved.

Now onto your battery questions. Firstly, you've been misled. The Australian stock comes with the BLS1 charger and a BLS1 battery (don't know why) but it can indeed charge a BLS5 battery.

I ordered three of the Wasabi Power BLS5 batteries from Blue Nook using Amazon Payments and they were delivered to my Australian PO Box without issues. The Wasabi Power batteries charge just fine in my Australian BLS1 charger and work just fine in the EP3. They are also rated at 2000mAh, which is considerably higher than the 1100mAh BLS1 batteries supplied with the Australian EP3.

Here's the Blue Nook link for the battery I bought:
    http://www.bluenook.com/Wasabi-Powe...olor_map,price,size_name&searchRank=salesrank

I bought three to leverage the postage. However, in the two weeks since I purchased my EP3 I've not needed to even recharge once the original BLS1 inserted into the EP3 on day one.

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have an E-PL3 that came with BLM-1 battery and charger and bought a BLM-5 after market battery by mistake then saw the warning that the BLM-1 charger shouldn't be used with BLM-5 batteries but as Mobelby says it charges fine in the BLM-1 charger.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  4. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the responses gents.

The warning about using the BLS5 battery in a BLS1 charger is even on Olympus' own site. I wonder why they have that warning if they still work?

Are they trying to make us buy another charger? :)

5. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Who knows.

I only confirm the charger light goes red when charging and blue when finished even with a BLS-5 battery.

And since they only cost $12 or so do you really care ?

6. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I think OEM batteries are around $50+?? Better for them to give warnings than promote most of us purchasing $9.99 batteries like I did that last longer :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  8. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  9. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Wow! I never knew about these batteries on amazon. I need to get me some extra batteries. Also, can i use bls-5 in my ep-1? I'm about to pick up an ep-3 but i'm going to keep the ep-1 so i was wondering if it's interchangeable. Thanks!

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I ordered a set yesterday

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yup, the batteries work on my E-P2 and E-P3. There is a thread around here somewhere, but I think the batteries are completely interchangeable, it is just that you are supposed to, I believe, use the appropriate charger for each. But... it seems like my Wasabi charger works fine on the Oly OEM batteries, I just usually use the Wasabi batteries because they seem to last longer.

12. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Can someone recommend a brand in the uk?

Thanks.

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Still waiting on mine
    Ugh i hate my impatience. Lol