1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

e-p3 battery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mitch, Aug 19, 2011.

1. mitch

mitch New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2011
    southern sweden
    hi all, i am the proud new owner of an e-p3! i would like to get an extra battery for the camera but am confused about the difference between the bls1 and bls5 batteries. the camera came with bls-1, but the manual says included either the 1 or the 5. i have not been able to find an explaination on the oly website either. any help would be appreciated!

thanks/mitch
    www.mitchcohen.se

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Both will work. Buy a couple extras. You can save money buying a reputable 3rd party version. What else do you want to know?

-Ray

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Both batteries will work in your camera. The BLS-1 batteries will charge in your BLS-5 charger (the grey one that came with your camera) but the BLS-5 batteries should be charged in the BLS-5 charger because they have a fourth contact which is read by the charger (not the camera). It has something to do with shutting down the charger when done, instead of leaving it on trickle charge (to follow new Japanese safety regulations). I have both chargers and both batteries, and I charge my BLS-1 batteries in the BLS-5 charger all the time with no difficulties. It shuts off the same at the end of the charge.

The BLS-5 batteries are slightly higher capacity and should last a little longer. I haven't noticed the difference, myself. They both last me through the same length of photoshoot.

Like Ray says, you should buy a couple extras. My general rule for both camera and flash batteries is to have at least 3 complete sets of batteries and 2 sets of chargers.

4. mitch

mitch New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2011
    southern sweden
    wow! thank you both for the quick replies. i am still trying to figure out the camera (sooo different than my nikons!) and the vf-2. sometimes while shooting in "a" i have trouble changing the aperature and i still have not figured out how to move the focus point when using the vf-2. but it has only been 2 days.... it has taken me 10 years to learn nikon..

thanks again!

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Be careful touching the OLED when using the VF-2. There's a bug that causes buttons to 'freeze' when touching the screen - say, with your nose. As long as you are aware of this quirk, no problems...

6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    a bit off topic. has anyone found a wall charger? dayam i hate these big a$$ oly charger cords.

7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    There is a really affordable wall variant sold on a site, named after the second longest river in the world, located in South America.

8. mitch

mitch New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2011
    southern sweden
    thanks!!! that seems to have been the "problem". hopefully they can fix it with firmware . . .

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I bought one. It came with a spare battery. The battery works just delightfully well. The charger works not at ALL...

-Ray

10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I was looking at the first option (no spare battery) when you put "BLS-1 charger" in the search field. Seems like it works for a some folks.

btw- the third party batteries I've used are great, if not longer lasting than the kit ones.