1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P3 and G3 "compared"

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by trisberg, Jul 7, 2011.

1. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Saw this ePhotozine comparison of the new Olympus E-P3 and Panasonic G3. Even thought the "comparison" leaves a lot to be desired (they didn't have much time so shot in JPEG and all auto which resulted in different ISOs/exposures and focus point seems different too) it does provide some useful info. The E-P3 high ISO actually looks pretty decent and pretty much on par with the G3. It's worth a look.

-Thomas

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It is a strange comparison. iso 1600 vs 800 just because the camera made that choice? Did I misunderstand?

3. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Nope, you got it right. They did let the camera choose so the comparisons are a bit strange with 800 vs 1600. There is still some value viewing the images on their own.

-Thomas

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It is an odd way to compare, but I often get requests to do my comparisons this way. I guess it is the most useful way to compare if the intended target audience is going to keep the camera on "auto".

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I found it overall a good read but when commenting on the sample photo pairs there are a few glaring mistakes ... or they're looking at different photographs.
    The one with the two men walking infront of the gasmask graffiti has this comment : "G3 : ... Shadow detail seems to be overly smoothed over / lacking." when in fact the shadow deail behind the chickenwire fenced underpass is hugely more detailed in the G3 picture!

(Full-sizes easily compared by clicking on the smaller pictures, a very nice review layout in my opinion.)

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I want so much to buy G3, however my Oly EP3 has that IBIS factor.. I have some reservations of what the G3 can do without the IBIS.. if I keep shutter speed up on the G3 will I get the same results? LOL I also have the X100 and have to keep the shutter above 125th of a second to match what the OLY with IBIS can do at 1/60th of a second.. your thoughts please..
    Doug

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Really interesting comparison, thanks for sharing.

The 1600/800 thing only affects the last image; the others are at comparable ISO.

The one thing that strikes me is that there's really not that much difference at ISO 1600--much less than I thought, especially after seeing images like these: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/g3-night-shooting-16229/. Also very noticeable is the different color balances, with the Olympus warmer and Panasonic colder.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I like apples, but my wife prefers oranges. This 'test' was very helpful. It showed that under different settings, the cameras produce different images. Thanks for that. Useless internets.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    You should see the IBIS thread (https://www.mu-43.com/f42/ibis-makes-so-much-more-sense-16205/) for lots of opinions. I think the general consensus is that, while useful, IBIS alone shouldn't be the reason to pick one camera over another. If it's the G3 you're comparing, then there are lot of other differences that to me would be equally important: form factor, pixel density, built-in EVF, etc.

(Full disclosure: I'm an IBIS fan, and I think it's very important. But I also concede that other factors are very important too, so it's a matter of weighing them all and deciding.)

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I haven't missed IBIS on the G3 at all, I have the Pany 100-300 with OIS and really that's the only lens where I'm grateful for it, all the other lenses I cope by keeping the shutter speed up and making sure I'm holding the camera steady.

Paul

11. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

I had a Gh2, sold it and buy a Olympus ep3, ok the colors and jpegs are better, but i miss the integrated VF, and the display that rotate. Im gonna sell the ep3 and buy again the gh2 or maybe G3. Before i owned a ep1, i shot all jpeg, with pana i learned to use Lightroom and raw, and now i prefer this over the olympus jpeg.
    I think the ep3 its perfect paired with pancakes, but with bigger lens, pana 45, leica 25, etc, the g3 or gh2 are better balance.

Sorry my english, I'm from spain.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Agree with you.
    Once you use the G or GH series ergonomics it's difficult to live without it.

13. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    I have to admit, as much as I dislike the look of the GH2/G3, the control system of the GH2 is very intuitive and desirable. It's very easy to change settings quickly and easily. I especially like the rear click wheel, that acts not only as a scroll wheel but also as a button. I've never had the priviledge to try the EP3 rear wheel thing, but I'd hope that the funtion/usability is similar. All that said... I'm willing to wait for Olympus to come up with a NEX7 style Pro Pen. I just like the styling and the feel of the olympus cameras in my hand rather than the GH2, and the cheapo G3. I do suspect i will be very tempted by the GH3 hahaha.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm also waiting for the GH3, like many of us.