E-P3 and Exposure Bracketing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luke, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Hi all,
    I just got back from a frustrating walk in the fog. I set the camera up to bracket exposures. 5 shots - 1EV apart. Turned the camera to from single capture to sequential and did some bracketed shots of some foggy trees, etc. Then I set it back to single shot mode and started snapping some more photos, but it was still adjusting the EV by a step for each shot. I thought that was weird...maybe I was just seeing things and it was metering funny because of the fog. Then I went into the bracketing menu and turned it off. When I started shooting again, everything was as normal. I even went back to sequential mode, and it just did multiples of the same exposure as it should. Turned exposure bracketing back on and it still does the same thing.

Is there some way to tell the camera that I only want it to bracket exposures in sequential mode and NOT single shot mode (not sure who would want that anyways)?

Or is camera behaving oddly?

Thanks in advance for your time.

(man, so many blown shots......frustrating)

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't think so. You need to dig into the menu each time to turn on/off bkt unless e-P3 allows to program one of the Fn buttons for BKT. On my E-PM1 I created MYSET specifically for bracketing.
    What you want (bracketing in seq mode only) would be impractical for long exposure though

3. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    I have programmed normal into one myset function and exposure bracketing into another.

You can program myset choice into a fn button but I just select it from the menus when I need to use exposure bracketing.

4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Yep, just gotta go in to the menu and turn it on or off each time, then set your shooting mode separately.
    Good to see the EP3 has 5 shot 1ev bracketing - my EPL1 has only 3 shot bracketing.

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-P3 (and all new Oly series) has up to 7 shot bracketing. E-PL2 also has up to 7. I typically do 5 shot 1EV bracketing on my E-PM1 which is great for HDR and with 5.5fps is a breeze. It kind of substitutes grad ND and works for people too (when they pose). When you do photomerge in photoshop, it will allign the shots (up to reasonable degree)

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Turning it off is no harder than turning it on. You just have to remember. Same applies to most other cameras with this feature (like my Nikon D90)

I do find the 7-shot setting a little unnecessary but frequently use the 5-shot setting. it is one of the most flexible bracketing set ups on a camera in that price range.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It just took me by surprise since with all my Panasonics that bracketing is tied to the sequential function. It still makes no sense :confused: to me to have the camera bracketing individual shots, but if other cameras do it, too....then maybe it's just me that thinks it's stupid.

I'll look into Art's suggestion to create a MY SET for when I want to my 5-shot bursts for HDR.:thumbup: Thanks all for your input. I love this forum.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Luke - I have totally done the same thing! It just so happened it was at the same time I was trying out a news lens and I was like "man, this lens' exposure is all over the place!" :biggrin: