1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P3: a strange nummer on the display

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 6x6, Jun 9, 2012.

1. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Getting to know my E-P3 and playing around with the tone control, there is now a symbol (-5) on the display I dont know about (and cant find in the manual either)

There is the square bracket indicating tone control, fine.
    Below it, the green number ranging from -7 to +7 indicates the choosen value.
    But why is there permanently an additonal number on top of the square bracket?
    It wasnt there before I started using tone control and I honestly dont know what I have done or what it means.
    Please have a look at the pics, maybe there is an explanation?

Otherwise, great camera!

Attached Files:

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The -5 on the top represents the current dialed in setting for the highlights (right) side of the tone curve. The number underneath the curve refers to the shadow (left) side of the curve. When in the tone control, use the info button to toggle between highlights and shadows.

If you look at the box (tone curve icon), you'll see the -5 depicted graphically as the "sag" below the diagonal line on the right side. Similarly, the -2 under the box shows up as a sag below diagonal on the left side.

Hope that makes sense.

3. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    By the way, a -5 setting for highlights would almost certainly tend to reduce contrast substantially. A curve for high contrast would be +2 or so on the highlights (right) side coupled with -2 on the shadows (left) side.

4. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Aaahh!
    So I can add a value above the bracket, be it - or + and do the same below the bracket.
    The one above ist for the highlights, the lower one for the shadow.
    Sure enough, it spictured in the manual on page 40.
    He, who cant read and look carefully, definitely has an advantage!
    Thank you!

5. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    By George, I think he's got it!

For the record, I had to dig out the manual (searchable PDF) and find the tone control. Looked in the menus first; would never have found them without page 40. Click on the compensation button, then the info button..? Some in Oly has a great sense of humor...or sadism.

6. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    With a camera from Olympus, there is always a surprise around the corner!

• Like Like x 3