E-P3 + 17mm or OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zucchiniboy, Aug 17, 2012.

1. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I'm sure some of you have asked this question - I've got an E-P1 with a collection of primes I'm quite happy with. I want to get a newer body with my priorities being:

1. Single-point AF speed to keep up with the kids
    2. Increased High ISO capabilities
    3. Higher frame rate
    4. Better MF ability (so EVF would be great!)
    5. Increased DR

Priority #1 is far and away the most important, and number 2 would be very nice, and #3 and 4 trailing behind and #5 just icing on the cake (hasn't held me up much).

The E-P1 would go to my wife.

If I went with the E-P3 kit with 17mm refurbished (for less than $600), I'd end up with a 17mm that could go with the E-P1, and a fast AF body that I could take the rest of my lenses with.

If I went with the OM-D, I'd hit every single priority on the list, but I'd spend an extra $400 with no extra lens. Or $550 extra if I added the 17mm with the current $150 rebate.

Dilemma. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!

EDIT: To add, I've also considered waiting for what the rumored E-PL5 is...

Thanks!

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    Oly 17 mm is weakest of all the primes and doesnt perform better than Oly kit lens at 17 mm focal length. I wonder if u can buy body only EP3 and add PL25 mm 1.4 to it.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    If you can afford it get the OMD or wait for the next gen of pen. I found the EP3 to be good for still shots but there were challenges with action shots. my best action shots on the ep3 were in manual focus mode.

just my experience.

frank

4. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i am not sure what bhupinder meant by weakest and hope that he would
    elaborate but here are couple samples taken about a year ago for you to
    judge for yourself... i think the 17mm is great lens.

1. a portrait take with the e-p3 + 17mm @ f2.8
    6314194728_63e9ae2fe2_z.

2. curry noodle stall with the e-pl2 + 17mm @ f3.2
    6291106961_0bc997f522_z.

• Like Like x 3
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Re 17mm lens, I agree that it's a fine lens that doesn't get the respect it deserves. There's just so much competition at that end of the prime scale; not a bad thing! I use the 17mm on my E-P1 for fun shots primarily.

6. Re: #5

It's one of those things that you don't know whether you want it until you have it, but when you've experienced it you might start to wish that all cameras had it.

7. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    I enjoyed the 17mm when I had it, but would say that for children on the run, it's not the fastest for AF. If relying on AF to do the work, the Panny 14mm is an improvement.
    I have the PM1 and the 14 and have been able to capture my 3-year-old boy on the go just by pointing and shooting (well, and making sure the shutter speed and aperture are reasonable). I just about bought the P3 in the forums here (great deals to be had for sure), but have decided to hold out and see what Sept. brings, both from Oly and from Sony (who supposedly will be offering their 5n upgrade with phase detection - perhaps a hybrid like Nikon's 1 series). I'm also quite keen to see a P3 replacement with the OMD sensor.

8. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    With your current collection of lenses, the 17mm might be a little redundant. While I do love the lens, I'm not sure I'd recommend passing on the E-M5 to get it.

I vote E-M5 body only.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I find that the E-P3 is an excellent camera and at current prices I think it's a better value than the OM-D. I've seen the E-P3 for sale on the forum for $400. If history repeats itself the OM-D will also drop in price if you're willing to wait.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Frank - thanks for your feedback. I may just wait until I can get an OM-D or next gen PEN.

11. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Indeed - even if the OM-D was $799 I think I'd jump on it more readily.

12. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks all for the feedback on the 17mm - I was only considering it because it's part of an E-P3 kit at relatively low cost, and would be a decent companion to the E-P1 for my wife, since I'd probably take all the other primes with me in my bag with the OM-D or next gen PEN. After all your input, I think I'm going to hold off on an E-P3 for now and see what happens with new product announcements and any price drops in the next couple months.

13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I like the 17mm as well. It is certainly better than the kit lens at f/2.8. BTW, my wife has one of my E-P1s with the 17mm.

14. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Lately I have been using my old E-p1 with the 17 and love it,except in bright sun.I've also mounted it on my O-MD and have enjoyed that as well.It is definitely underrated,However, if the price isn't too different, I would be tempted to get another 14 for your wife.That lens is just superb with it's fast,quiet focus and tiny size.

15. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just bought an E-P3 with OM50 for $375 and a 17mm for $160 from the forums. Plan to screw them to each other for life and keep close at hand for unplanned shoots. I really love my P20, but miss the 17mm. The focal length is just right for me. I probably would have bought an OM-D over the E-P3 if I had needed an EVF.

Lee

16. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Sounds like a pretty great price on those items! Let us know how you like the combo compared to your G3...

17. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    E-P3 is Great

I just got the E-P3 today and now understand why Bob is such a strong advocate. I am absolutely stunned at the heft and build quality of the E-P3, it really is a precision instrument. The G-3 feels a bit cheap in comparison.

The Panasonic 20mm works great as expected; it was my 2 power zooms that I was expecting issues. None found, both work very well and the 45-175mm seems a bit sharper. I expected it to be worse since I don't have an EVF. The E-P3 displays the focal length for the power zoom lenses in the top right corner; I was certain that info would not be available, but it is nice to have since they are internal zoom lenses.

I will be out tonight to hopefully get something worth posting; can't wait for the 17 to arrive.

Lee

18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Of all of the Micro Four Thirds Bodies the E-P3 for me has the best feeling of combined quality weight, character and ability
    I have a silver one which is IMO the best looking and best at keeping its looks and avoiding wear and tear as there is no paint to scratch - just the metal surface itself.
    I have this week bought a G5 though and the E-P3 might sadly have to go ?
    Rob

19. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Resized only:

45-175mm + E-P3 = A Little Extra Detail
    Fuzzy1.

A fungus amungus (14-42 X with Panasonic Fisheye Converter)
    Fungus.

A Little Crabby
    Crabby.

Lee