E-p3/17mm 2.8 or E-pm2/E-pl5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Halaking, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I'm looking 2nd body pair with omd, the recent price drop on new E-p3 with 17mm 2.8 prime is only $450, I was thinking about the E-pm2 or the E-pl5 for the new sensor, but the E-p3's larger body and more controls is much easier to hold and play with, I think even sigma 19mm is little too big for the E-pm2, that make it looks and feel like NEX (small body/large lens), what do you think? Thanks!!

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Are you going to be satisfied with worse sensor performance compared with the E-M5? That's the key question.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use 2 E-P3's and have no issues selling my work to any client including Museums, collectors or PR Firms. The camera has a great UI and is a pleasure to use.
    BTW....I just got one from Unique in Black with the 17 2.8 for $419.00 delivered....

don

• Like Like x 1
  4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    For me the key difference between the E-Px and the lower-tier models is the extra controls. If those aren't as important to you, go with one of the newer sensor bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Wow! That's a great deal!!! FWIW, I'm still shooting my E-P1 (same sensor) and am still very happy with the results I'm getting. If I wasn't, I'd already have the OM-D.

IMO, the 17 looks really nice in black... maybe you are getting black E-P3 and 17? That would be sweet!

:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    The difference in IQ between the 2 sensors is in the DR and high ISO performance. If you expose correctly DR is not a big issue. If you use LR and use the local adjustment tools DR becomes and even smaller issue when you expose incorrectly. Also I don't have any DR issues with my LX3 either.

Also noise does not worry me because I always keep my ISO low, even when using my Nikon. And if noise becomes an issue Neat Image free works very well and so does LR's built in noise removal tool and Topaz DeNoise is even slightly better.

The glass is more important than the body.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thank you for all the replies!!

I do think the IQ from the new sensor is great, just like the omd, but larger body with more buttoms/wheels is very welcome for day to day use, for the price, I guess just can't have it all. :horse:

Maybe just wait for the E-p5? but looks like no VF and MSRP @ less 1k. :frown:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The viewfinder is an important accessory, I agree. For me, I would rather pick up the E-PM2 or E-PL5 and add the cost of the VF-2 or VF-3 for the same price or less as the upcoming E-P5 (and will have it a lot sooner, too!).

• Like Like x 2