E-P2 w/665nm IR Conversion

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Jun 26, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I received my converted E-P2 back from Precision Camera today. I am very pleased with the result. Here is an example (which has already been "channel swapped" with PS/CS6) using the Kit lens 14-42 II that was provided with the camera (to Precision Camera) for what they call "calibration." The capture was made with the ISO set to 200, though an aperture of f/5 for 1/125 sec. The 14-42 lens was zoomed to 17mm. (This was taken, by the way, as the sun was going down behind me and the house - so the scene is mostly in the shade - not the optimum lighting for IR.)

P6260200a3_zps1adf2d07.jpg

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'll be looking forward to seeing what other pics you get. I want to try this with a filter as I'm too cheap to do a conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ron, I went this way because I wasn't as pleased as I had hoped to be with just filters. I also selected the 665 cutoff so that I could add other filters in front of it and raise the cutoff. I will be testing this camera with its internal filter with all my other lenses (which reminds me I need to adjust my sig - I've just sold two and am now awaiting the 12-35/2.8).

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Oh, I totally understand and I hope I can at least tell what I've done when using filters.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I think it's impossible to get this sort of effect without a conversion. The hotmirror (replaced when doing a conversion) blocks the infra red portion whilst transmitting the visible. For this effect you need some of the visible & some of the IR. with a hot mirror still present the IR aspect will be at least 100X less - effectively absent.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I would generally agree with you Mike, but I have been able to make a few nice ones with my unconverted OM-D (it was not without some extra effort however) which you may remember seeing before:

Cash_Lake_Panorama_4-26-13c1a_zpsf8bf84a5.jpg

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Was that with a sub 720nm filter? It looks to me like a channel swap on a longer wavelength image.
    IR images are certainly achievable with some (possibly even all) unmodified cameras, but I thought anything less than a 720 was bound to fail. If I'm wrong then I can see I've got more experimenting to do...
    I've had a couple of images with a 720nm that give some colour (Blue hair being noticeable on reducing the overall red tint IIRC) but certainly nothing like your getting with the conversion!

8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    That's really nice.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That was with a 720 as I recall (I'm almost positive), and it was a channel swap (I do that with almost all of mine unless in test mode). And you could be very right about the sub-720 images - I didn't realize that you were referring to that range in your comment regarding impossibility.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I promise ya'll some test shots from my other lenses and I've gotten some of them, but not all. Here are a few - some looked good and some had what I still call hotspots. You can probably figure out what these are but I'll explain that the sepia-looking images are the raw IR with some sharpening and the bluish images are channel-swapped also with some sharpening.

Notice the last pair (with the 75mm) has what I'll call a hotspot right in the middle of the image (more evident in the channel-swapped version). the sun was well behind me so it can't be flare/glare. The rest look fairly decent for a late-in-the-day IR (notice the foreground shadows).

Not too bad a test given the challenges - I still want to try the body cap 15mm lens and mid-range of the new 12-35.

Sorry about the crooked images. I have a significant tendency to do that, and I wanted to impose as little processing as I could for this test.

Kit 14-42:

E-P2_14-42_14a3_zps5131bb1a.jpg

E-P2_14-42_14a4_zps5a9ba3c5.jpg

25/1.4:

E-P2_25a3_zpsc62186fe.jpg

E-P2_25a4_zpscdda90c1.jpg

45/1.8:

E-P2_45a3_zps43f3547b.jpg

E-P2_45a4_zps2d418b88.jpg

74/1.8:

E-P2_75a3_zpsd1d7a949.jpg

E-P2_75a4_zpsff4513a2.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.