E-P2 w/665nm IR Conversion

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Jun 26, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I received my converted E-P2 back from Precision Camera today. I am very pleased with the result. Here is an example (which has already been "channel swapped" with PS/CS6) using the Kit lens 14-42 II that was provided with the camera (to Precision Camera) for what they call "calibration." The capture was made with the ISO set to 200, though an aperture of f/5 for 1/125 sec. The 14-42 lens was zoomed to 17mm. (This was taken, by the way, as the sun was going down behind me and the house - so the scene is mostly in the shade - not the optimum lighting for IR.)

P6260200a3_zps1adf2d07.

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'll be looking forward to seeing what other pics you get. I want to try this with a filter as I'm too cheap to do a conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ron, I went this way because I wasn't as pleased as I had hoped to be with just filters. I also selected the 665 cutoff so that I could add other filters in front of it and raise the cutoff. I will be testing this camera with its internal filter with all my other lenses (which reminds me I need to adjust my sig - I've just sold two and am now awaiting the 12-35/2.8).

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Oh, I totally understand and I hope I can at least tell what I've done when using filters.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I think it's impossible to get this sort of effect without a conversion. The hotmirror (replaced when doing a conversion) blocks the infra red portion whilst transmitting the visible. For this effect you need some of the visible & some of the IR. with a hot mirror still present the IR aspect will be at least 100X less - effectively absent.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I would generally agree with you Mike, but I have been able to make a few nice ones with my unconverted OM-D (it was not without some extra effort however) which you may remember seeing before:

Cash_Lake_Panorama_4-26-13c1a_zpsf8bf84a5.

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Was that with a sub 720nm filter? It looks to me like a channel swap on a longer wavelength image.
    IR images are certainly achievable with some (possibly even all) unmodified cameras, but I thought anything less than a 720 was bound to fail. If I'm wrong then I can see I've got more experimenting to do...
    I've had a couple of images with a 720nm that give some colour (Blue hair being noticeable on reducing the overall red tint IIRC) but certainly nothing like your getting with the conversion!

8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    That's really nice.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That was with a 720 as I recall (I'm almost positive), and it was a channel swap (I do that with almost all of mine unless in test mode). And you could be very right about the sub-720 images - I didn't realize that you were referring to that range in your comment regarding impossibility.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I promise ya'll some test shots from my other lenses and I've gotten some of them, but not all. Here are a few - some looked good and some had what I still call hotspots. You can probably figure out what these are but I'll explain that the sepia-looking images are the raw IR with some sharpening and the bluish images are channel-swapped also with some sharpening.

Notice the last pair (with the 75mm) has what I'll call a hotspot right in the middle of the image (more evident in the channel-swapped version). the sun was well behind me so it can't be flare/glare. The rest look fairly decent for a late-in-the-day IR (notice the foreground shadows).

Not too bad a test given the challenges - I still want to try the body cap 15mm lens and mid-range of the new 12-35.

Sorry about the crooked images. I have a significant tendency to do that, and I wanted to impose as little processing as I could for this test.

Kit 14-42:

E-P2_14-42_14a3_zps5131bb1a.

E-P2_14-42_14a4_zps5a9ba3c5.

25/1.4:

E-P2_25a3_zpsc62186fe.

E-P2_25a4_zpscdda90c1.

45/1.8:

E-P2_45a3_zps43f3547b.

E-P2_45a4_zps2d418b88.

74/1.8:

E-P2_75a3_zpsd1d7a949.

E-P2_75a4_zpsff4513a2.