E-P2 "USB" port [SOLVED]

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A standard mini-USB plug will not fit what looks very like a standard mini-USB socket on the E-P2.
The supplied cable is OK of course.

Is this correct? Are Olympus using a proprietary socket on the E-P2 ?

(this is causing me a protracted saga on eBay with a seller who refuses to believe their RM_UC1 clone won;t fit my camera!)

keehotee

Mu-43 Rookie
A standard mini-USB plug will not fit what looks very like a standard mini-USB socket on the E-P2.

(this is causing me a protracted saga on eBay with a seller who refuses to believe their RM_UC1 clone won;t fit my camera!)

The RM-UC1 clone I bought on ebay for my E-PL1 (before I found out it would never work) has the correct end.....are you sure you're not getting mixed up?AFAIK the usb socket on the E-P1, 2, and E-PL1 are all the same size and shape.... which definitely isn't standard mini usb.

p.s. All of which means - if you're in the UK you can have mine for the cost of postage.... ;)

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
why would i want something that "would never work"?
And what do you think I am getting "mixed up" by ?

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Straight answers are fine: I'm not making any assertions, I just want to know!

If my assumption that I'm looking at a USB port, or that you can use a remote release with the E-P2 is wrong, let me know!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I wish I could be the answer giver but I'm not the most tech savvy. One end of that cable is very a very "normal" looking USB but that other end is very slim. Here's Olympus's technical page, in the off chance you haven't seen it. I'd think the manual would address this, too, wouldn't it? E-P2 Specs

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
for my e-p1 (which is suppose to be identical to the e-p2)

1) the plug is NOT a USB plug, it's an olympus proprietary plug.

2) RM-UC1 cable and clones (as long as they're made properly) will work on the e-p1 and e-p2 (but not the e-pl1). You can check the manual to see that it clearly states the RM-UC1 is a supported accessory. If the "clone" is a real clone, then it will work.

P.S. I have an e-p1 and I have an ebay RM-UC1 clone cable and it works fine.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/remote-release-e-p2-1808/

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/rm-uc1-glitch-2657/

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/building-your-own-shutter-release-cable-e-p1-2749/

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Top notch, thanks BBW and squeegee

I think I probably managed to pick the only eBay clone that won't fit (or maybe they just sent me the wrong one)

keehotee

Mu-43 Rookie
why would i want something that "would never work"?
And what do you think I am getting "mixed up" by ?

The remote won't work with the E-PL1!!!
And your assumption that the E-P2 has a mini usb connection.

I don't know - you try to help somebody out and even offer a free remote, and just get shot down. Why bother !

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Why bother?
Because sometimes what you write helps someone see the light.
It may not be the OP but others read your words.
That's why......

Go in peace, both of ya.....

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
the 'usb' connector on the Olympuses are proprietry - they carry USB signals and composite video and perhaps audio - to allow you to play back your photos on a TV.... like anybody ever does that

K

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

The connector is nothing like a standard mini-USB port. It is a multi-function port that takes the Olympus supplied USB cable to connect to another USB port, or the Olympus supplied video connector to connect to an AV device like a TV.

I have a remote RM_UC1 compatible clone for my E-P1 and it works fine.

I have heard reports the the E-PL1 is not compatible with any remote but cannot verify this. Sort of makes the 'bulb' function on that camera useless.

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
Hi E-P2 users!!

Resurrecting this thread with a plea for help

I have connected my E-P2 to my Windows XP laptop via the USB cable - on connection the camera wakes up and shows a menu

USB

STORAGE
MTP
PRINT
EXIT

If I choose any option (except EXIT) - the camera then just displays "ONE MOMENT" and sits forever doing nothing. On the laptop there is no activity - I'd expect that the file system would show up in Explorer but nothing happens.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Ian

WasOM3user

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
XP likes to have the USB drivers installed before you plug in the camera (or any USB device). Sometimes it will just sit there without warning you it needs a driver.

With the camera plugged in Have a look in the device manager to see if you have an icon with a yellow warning on it - if so try right clicking and see if you can get it to look for a driver online.

If you have the CD try looking for the driver to install (but you may have to install Olympus' software to get it on)

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the reply - in fact I solved it (shamefacedly) by being much more forceful with the camera end of the connecting cable - seems you need to push it on then push some more!!
Always the simple things in the end ......

G

gohunter

Ian,

You solved my problem with my E-P2. I too was not forceful enough and thought that the camera that I'd picked up off eBay a few months ago was faulty. However, pushing the connector hard allowed me to update to V1.3 firmware.

Cheers,

Gordon

Latest threads

Top Bottom