E-P2 trade for Fuji X10?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Grinch, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Hey, I've locally advertised my E-P2 and 17mm and have been offered a fuji X10 in trade. Would you do this? I have no experience with fuji, but I have heard about the orbs...
    Any experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    I still am keeping my E-P3, so I'm not giving up on m4/3.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wouldn't do it. Keep the E-P2 as a backup body to your E-P3. Performance wise, the E-P2 with 17mm f/2.8 is more like carrying around an X100 with its 25mm f/2.8 lens. The X10 is just as big and houses a smaller sensor. Its only real advantage is zoom range. I mean, maybe if you just want to try out something different for the fun of it, but I think having a second body to mount a different type of lens, or to keep mounted with a compact lens, and to serve as backup in case of an emergency... is infinitely more practical. As a pro photographer I wouldn't consider having only one body in a system, so I would look at filling those basics first before adding "extras".
    • Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    E-P2+17mm = X-100 in performance? Nah....at least not in IQ, viewfinder, etc. Different strata.

EP-2+17 better than X-10? Sure. Different strata.:smile:

On the other hand, if you want/need a zoom camera that rides in a belt pack without sticking way out, a Fuji X-10 is definitely less bulky than, say, an Oly E-PM1 with kit zoom. On the other hand, there's a progression of smaller zooms available, with the Panny LX-5, the Oly XZ-1, and the Canon S95/S100 considered as enthusiast point-and-shoot cameras with decent image quality. But if size doesn't matter, MFT or larger sensors are directionally the way to go.

By the way, I do like my X10 a lot, but then I do feel a need for that compact zoom in certain circumstances. And no MFT with zoom meets my criteria for low profile.

The proposed trade? I'd hate to give up that backup to the E-P3, but as enthusiast P&S cameras go, they don't come much better than the X-10 (assuming orbs issue resolved).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd probably do the trade. If you're getting rid of the E-P2 byway then why not use it as an opportunity to play with something new?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Okay, the X-10
    - zoom
    - OVF
    - Fuji "cool" factor

- no interchangeable lenses so it is what it is.
    - Smaller sensor may have issues in low light.

Other factors:
    - Having a second body for m43 lenses isn't a bad thing.

Do what works for you. Only you can know which camera you would use most, and that should be the deciding factor. They are both great, just different.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks for your input, folks. I made the trade as it seemed to good to be true, fuji x10 and a brand new gariz black leather half case for my E-P2 and 17mm. Oh and I've still got the E-P3 as a back up, my family surprised me with an E-M5.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Nice trade, you'll have fun with the Fuji...and congrats on the the OMD. You've been a VERY good boy apparently :eek: