E-P2 support wireless mode FL-36R

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by e.besana, Oct 14, 2010.

1. e.besana

e.besana Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Tarrytown, NY
    Does anyone know if the E-P2 supports the wireless trigger mode of the
    FL-36R? Thanks -EB

2. candyspan

candyspan New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2010
    From what I understand it the wireless function works with both the E-PL1 and the E-P2!

3. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Actually the EP-2 and the EP-1 does not support wireless trigger mode of the FL-36R, only the E-PL1 does.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

elshaneo has it correctly. You need onboard flash to trigger the FL-36R.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    However, there are units available on ebay that are sold as 'wireless shutter releases' for the E-P2. They're a bit clunky looking because I believe they are inserted into the USB port. But the result is the same.

• Like Like x 2
  6. e.besana

e.besana Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    Tarrytown, NY
    thanks for the info. so let me ask this...what would be the best thing to do if I want to use the EVF and a flash?

7. nautilus

nautilus New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2010
    British North Borneo

Best thing IMHO would be to sell your EP2 or keep it as a spare cam and instead get a EPL1. Why? Bcos besides all the other micro 43 cam, none does RC flash except EPL1.

This setup, EPL 1/EVF2/FL36R plus a flash bracket almost answers your Q :biggrin:

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The E-P1 and E-P2 do support wireless flash, but the method isn't quite as easy as with the E-PL1. You can use a flash like the FL-14 to trigger the FL-36R and the FL-50R in the same way as the E-PL1 in-built flash. But your working situation needs to be able to accommodate the placement and removal of flash/EVF for this to work effectively, or you use the main screen.

That's one thing I could never understand; why Olympus didn't provide some sort of flash connection/trigger for the E-P2, when the EVF was attached. A USB connection or even the tiniest flash built into the EVF (like the wee things on some P&S cameras) or somesuch would have been great.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  9. nautilus

nautilus New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2010
    British North Borneo
    As you said, by using FL14 as a flash trigger thus taking up the hotshoe is not desirable especially when one needs the EVF2 for manual focusing under macro conditions.
    On another note, if you are into high-sync FP-TTL via RC which is especially handy for flash fill in, the FL14 falls short of this feature.
    Yeah, i liked the EP2 with its 1/4000 shutter speed and the dial/scroll wheel but if only it had RC for flash of somekind. For me, I need the EVF2 attached all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I have both E-P2 and the E-PL1 and agree that the single feature I wish was common to them would have been the RC flash option. Having said that, I don't think that true macro photography(requiring flash) is something that I would be using either of these bodies for. Unfortunately, the m4/3 format in it's great development still lacks abilities that the Olympus dslr line-up provides. No bashing here; I love using my 2 lens E-P2 kit (14-42 and 45-200) and I have no issues with "slave" mode flash, even without using my VF-2. I would love to hear anyone's real experience using any of the wireless control options that eBay sellers boast for use with the P1/P2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Why would you say that?

Cheers

Ray

12. Using the m4/3 lenses and the 2 bodies I have indicated, flash macro photography ( with the built-in flash or the FL-14) that I have attempted has found the subject in shadow of the lens. I have tried to use an FL-50r (using the FL-14 to control the slave FL-50R) with both and have had no useable result. I think that a ring flash could be used with the 50mm 4/3 macro lens and you'd get some great images. Again, I tend to use my E-3 with the 35mm/50mm lenses in natural light for my photography(macro). My experience may not be like others. I envision macro images as front of glass images, pleasingly and evenly lit, something I've not achieved with this equipment. Certainly, any suggestions are welcome.

13. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I would think that the especially the 35mm macro and to a lesser exent the 50mm macro lenses are too short for a lot of macro work, especially hand-held stuff. They also make lightng difficult. BTW, I use a 50mm macro lens. On of the future lenses in my buying list is a 100 or 105mm Nikon mount macro (and adaptor).

As for flash use, I get by with a Nissin Di466 Four Thirds and make use of the wide angle diffuser, built in tilt and an add bounce thingie (or fit an external diffuser) and reflectors. It works and you can throttle the flash down for really close work. This is where the FL-14 falls in a heap.

BTW, the Nissin Di466 will work as a slave flash and you can even trigger it with a flash facing in the opposite direction (don't ask how - it just works).

• Like Like x 2
  14. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've done macro and micro using two FL-50Rs, fired by an FL-14 on the E-P2. That's using microscope objectives as well as an 80mm Olympus macro lens. You are much better off using long focal length lenses for macro; not only does it allow for the proper placement of flashes, it also ensures that live subjects aren't scared off as easily. I've done macro work with a 300mm lens with very good results.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    for handheld stuff the 35mm f3.5 is not bad. If the subject does not spook easily. and you can mount a ring flash to it.