E-P2 Settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Muntjack, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Hi Chaps,
    I would appreciate any advice and experience of others as to their optimal settings used on the E-P2.
    I shoot mainly Vivid or Natural JPEGS and mainly in natural light.

I would love to hear comments on the settings for:-

Noise Reduction
    Noise Filter.

Clearly I am looking for the sharpest images possible with little blowout and minimum noise and no 'funny' shadows. I am new to digital and can't quite understand why someone would for instance select a negative setting for Sharpness or Contrast??
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Muntjack, I'm wondering if you've reviewed Brian's https://www.mu-43.com/f42/olympus-e-p2-quick-start-part-1-a-586/ because the series is very helpful, plus the different threads have questions posed by different members, and those threads are still open to questions, too. I found them quite helpful when I was first trying to get my head around everything.
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Many shooters shoot the camera in kind of a neutral mode. It's easier to correct in the Processing software then in the camera.
    For example, you have the camera to sharpen and realize that it's over sharpening...uh oh....

if that happens in your software, it's an easy fix. Myself and I think a few others prefer to do RAW...then the digital world is at your command....
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    for the noise reduction at low iso's it makes little diff, maybe set it at low (the zero NR still seems to do smoothing) at iso of 1600 or more maybe switch it to high based on what you are doing (have used for long night shots)
  5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010

Thanks for the initial guidance. I have looked at the start up videos which certainly gave me a few good ideas and maybe I'll target some questions there too.

I do have a copy of Photoshop and also of course Olympus Master.
    Photoshop looks bewilderingly complex......I suppose I'll just have to do some studying if that's really the route to good results. Problem is I don't really want to spend loads of time of every image. Maybe just the one's that I especially like. Is there a link to a site with standard formulae to achieve various results anywhere?
    I think I have a DVD course somewhere but I'll need to eat lots of red meat first!!

Thanks again folks,
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Muntjack, though I can't help you with Photoshop, if you haven't checked out the Software forum here, you could find it quite helpful. That would be the best place to ask specific questions because other members will be able to zero in on what you're after with regard to, for example, Photoshop. Try a quick search to see if there's an existing thread on Photoshop and if you don't find what you're after just start your own.

I know when I first got my serious digital and wanted to understand all the different choices it was overwhelming. You're ahead of the game if you already own Photoshop and want to learn how to use it. I'm still in the learning curve mode, myself.