1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P2 remote?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jakob F., Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I recently bought the 7.5mm Samyang fisheye for my E-P2, and am already seeing the world in a slightly distorted way. There's so many things that would be great to shoot with a fisheye -but most of them (to me, that is) is night time shots of the city, and for this, some sort of remote would be really handy.

I've been looking at the Olympus £60ish RM-UC1, but on Amazon there's also third-party models selling as low as £3 -obviously there must be some difference in the quality, but does anyone have any hands-on experience with both, and can tell me whether the cheapo is fine or if I HAVE to shell out for the Olympus?

Thanks,
    Jakob F.

2. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Anyone?

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think any of the remotes that say they are the compatible with the Olympus RM-UC1 will work. I purchased the JJC TM-J for my E-P3 and it works well. I decided to go with the JJC because it also had timer functionality for time lapse shots and used a more common type battery.

In the US, the JJC was about the same price as the original Oly, but had the added timer functionality. Maybe more than you want to spend, though, I think it would be cool to do some time lapse with that fisheye. :biggrin:

Following is a link for the JJC:

LCD TIMER REMOTE CONTROL FOR OLYMPUS E-P2 RM-UC1 | eBay

and the following remote looks similar, maybe a new version?

Timer Remote Control for Olympus EP-1 E520 SP590 RM-UC1 | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'll take a look at it, thanks -but you're right, it's a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Cash is sparse, and I really need a tripod as well, and I'll rather spend what cash I have on a decent tripod and then start out with a cheap remote -just wanted to be sure that the very cheap e-bay ones were actually any good ;)

/Jakob

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Can you put a link up for the very inexpensive one?

I did purchase an inexpensive one for similar use. It was about US $30.00, a bit more than you want to spend. Even then the USB plug came apart on the camera side and I had to buy a replacement cable. So now we are up to $36.00. In any event, it seems a good remote. if it goes bad on me again, I'll get the real thing.

woof!

6. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, I just did a search on amazon.co.uk for pen e-P2 Remote -among otters, this came up:

Check this out on AMZN: PowerPlanet compatible Olympus RM-UC1 remote cord for OLYMPUS PEN E-P1, E-P2, E-P3 / E-PL2, E-PL3 /... http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KYLOB6

7. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Just got a cheap one in the mail

HI,

I got a cheap shutter release off ebay.
    Remote Shutter Release Cord 4 Olympus RM-UC1 E410 E520 | eBay

As you can see it was only $3 CAD.
    It seems to work just fine.
    I have noticed that sometimes the shutter wont close, but that is merely a result of the cord not firmly in place.

With the e-p2 i have to put a bit more pressure while plugging in the remote release and then it is absolutely fine.

I think my purchase was a great buy for $3 shipped. Great for timelapse using antishock and bulb exposures as well.

In my personal opinion get the cheap one.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  9. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
  10. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    And even then you could simply use anti-shock to time lapse.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Perhaps you would like to enlighten everyone how that is done without manually tripping the shutter.

12. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Love to enlighten.

First you can go to your settings menu and enable anti-shock and choose your time interval up to 30seconds.
    Then you simply set your drive mode to anti-shock continuous.
    After that you simply need to trip the shutter with the remote and leave the remote in the hold position.

Here's one that will ship to the UK for £2
    Remote Shutter Release Cord 4 Olympus RM-UC1 E410 E520 | eBay

The only issues I can forsee is that when engaging time lapse you will have to wait the first anti-shock interval. Which isn't too big of a deal considering your doing time lapse.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    rijesh,
    Thanks for your post. By the way, this works on all PEN'S, however the E-PL1 does not work with a remote cord, so the "rubber band trick" must be used as detailed on a previous post.

This is not a problem if using an RM-UC1 cable release (or third party copy) as the shutter release has a lock button, but you must manually disengage the shutter button lock at the end to stop the exposures.

Besides not having to activate anti-shock and continuous frames, here are the advantages in using a release with a built in timer.

1. Delay before shutter is released: 0 s to 99 hrs 59 min 59 s (in one-second increments)

2. Exposure time: 0 s to 99 hrs 59 min 59 s (in one-second increments) (Manual shutter set at BULB)

3. Interval between exposures: 1 s to 99 hrs 59 min 59 s (in one-second increments)

4. Programable number of exposures: 1 to 399

14. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Actually #2 and #3 could be set using the camera. Probably not as precise as you could with RM-UC1 cable release , but still manageable. (the bulb limit on the e-p2 is 30min so you can't take a 30min 1sec exposure even with this remote)
    Just saying.

But very true, you can't set the # of exposures, or have longer delay periods. And as you said you will have to manually move the remote out of the lock/hold position.

For me a $3 dollar remote is just fine for what I do, but if you needed that extra precision and the initial delay then the RM-UC1 cable release is the one for you.