1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P2 - Raw + JPEG at the same time?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BBW, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Modes of recording or saving images:
    Raw vs jpeg: can you do both and choose where to download which? I see for the E-P2 there are several pages in the manual but find it confusing*.

Caveat here - I've never used RAW and have yet to install the Olympus Master. I can understand the value of RAW for fine tuning and really improving one's photos after the fact but if one wants to say upload on to this site then the photos are too big... (At this point the only way I've figured out to "resize" is to email myself the photo via MacMail choosing a smaller size and then putting it onto my desktop to upload it here. I am sure there's a better way and will ask a local Mac user photo friend for pointers on this part.) Can we please add an "Oy vey" emoticon?:popcorm2:

*Selecting record modes starting on page 65.

2. Bob Tullis

Bob Tullis New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2010
    NYC
    Usually importing will dump them all in one location (the app's library, or a folder of one's choosing). One can easily separate them as desired (by using a file type filter and selecting all in that filter, then move them where desired).

I'm satisfied with my workflow, which didn't (and still doesn't) include the Oly offerings. So anything specific to that app - I'm clueless. But generally, one would export their image. There should be options or presets that control size, color space (always insure sRGB is the color space for exporting for others to view), and compression ratio. Some applications (like Aperture / LIghtroom) have export plug-ins for uploading to popular host sites. For a site such as this, you'd export to disk or file on your own hard drive, then call to that file when starting this site's upload feature.

Is that helpful?

...Bob

3. BBW

It is sort of helpful Bob except I have no clue where I'd find the options to choose "a file type filter..." Granted I'm on a MacBook Pro and only have iPhoto. Perhaps once I speak to my Mac/Photo friend, he'll give me these pointers. The next step may be well going for one of the software applications such as Lightroom, etc. So many decisions.

Meanwhile when one is shooting, I'm not clear on what mode to set the camera on...and alas I don't have the camera right here but I will have one on or about Thursday to refer to and then maybe I can express myself better. I know you can choose the size, etc., of what your photo's file will be and that is part of my stumbling block.

I appreciate your response very much and glad to have you on board, too!

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    BB, here's what I do when I shoot RAW + JPEG on a Mac:

1. Put the card in a card reader, which then automatically mounts the card as a drive in the Finder
    2. In the Finder, navigate to the folder on the card which contains all the image files (JPG and ORF)
    3. Use the Finder search box to search only that folder for all files containing JPG and drag those files into iPhoto. Then delete those JPG files from the folder on the card.
    4. The image folder on the card will now contain only the ORF files, which can be imported into Olympus Master, Lightroom, or your RAW processing app of choice.
    As for resizing for upload to this site, there are a couple ways to go, but one of the easiest, since you are a Flickr pro member, is to upload the full res JPEG to Flickr. Flickr automatically gives you a "large" version, which is 1024 pixels on the long side, perfect for displaying or uploading to mu-43. Also, Flickr sharpens the photo reasonably well during the resizing process, which helps with the photos looking good at web sizes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shastings

shastings New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2010
    BBW, you can set the way you want the pictures to record through the menu system on the Oly. The only thing I found was that instead of a word, the menu uses a symbol for setting this, in a list of words in the first camera set up menu (straight after Graduation). You have a range of options including shooting RAW and JPEG together. I haven't worried about setting to shoot RAW on this camera as the JPEGs are really great. But, there is a setting to shoot both at the same time if you require it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. shastings

shastings New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2010
    Also, if you do use Olympus Master 2, you can save your files in a chosen size for uploading to this site. Having imported all of your photos, you just select a photo, choose Save as from the menu, and choose the size that is suitable. I have done this once and can confirm that it works. You can do this from any photo application.

If shooting RAW I always shoot JPEG as well, so that I have a photo I can immediately share. If I want to do further work on it, then I use the RAW. But, having completed the work, you can then save your completed file as a JPEG for uploading.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

Thanks so much shastings - for both of your posts. Once I get the camera back in my hands I may well ask you a some more specifics...since I can't refer to it right now. It's becoming clearer...

And by the way, welcome to mu-43.com, too.:biggrin:

8. shastings

shastings New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks BBW

9. BBW

it's in the details

Amin, somehow I completely missed this very, very helpful post of yours!:doh: Thanks so much for taking the time to lay it all out for me, even in Mac terms. I would never have known about the finer details regarding the folder and images... It's all become much more clear, especially now that I know Lightroom will accept the RAW aka in Oly talk "ORF" files.

I also appreciate your tips on using Flickr for uploading to mu-43 and will try that out and may even go back and edit some of my uploaded masterpieces:wink: this way.

Thanks so much for all of this info.:2thumbs: