E-P2 or E-PL2 for legacy lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Nate8833, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Hello!

I have a Panasonic GX1, and I'm looking for a backup body. Since Panasonic doesn't have stabilization in it's camera bodies, I thought I'd pick up an Oly. Also, the stabilization in the Oly cameras will be helpful with the few manual focus legacy lenses I have. Which camera, the E-P2 or the E-PL2, would be better for this purpose? I realize that the screen on the E-PL2 is superior to the E-P2... but I was curious if there was anything I am missing that would make this a closer competition than it appears to be. I'd love to pick up the E-P2 because I just love the look of it... but if the E-PL2 is a far superior camera to use with the legacy lenses, I don't really feel like it's a choice. Thanks everyone!!

Nate

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only advantage of the E-P2 body is that technically you have 2 control dials.

But for legacy lenses, I wouldn't use the rear LCD to focus - it's much easier to achieve accurate focus with an EVF. Indeed, I'd say an EVF is more valuable than stabilization (and using the EVF will help stabilize the camera to some degree too).

DH

3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I debated between an E-P1 and a E-PL2 for a cheap body, I primarily shoot AF but also use MF lenses sometimes. I was drawn to the E-PL2 for the better screen and magnify button, and probably would have gone that route if I was going MF only.

But I ended up finding a E-P1 for really cheap locally on CL, and find that I use the top dial all the time for exposure compensation and to magnify when reviewing images. The top dial is much easier to use that the fiddly middle wheel IMO. So I'm 100% happy with it.

I have the E-P1 set up so that there are only 2 record screens, 1 being the screen where you can center press to magnify. So it's not that hard to use this way for MF, but obviously not as fluid as with an E-PL2. The E-PL2 is superior, but I don't know that I would call it 'far superior' for MF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks for your answer! I should have mentioned this, too... My eyes don't agree with my habits when I use a viewfinder. lol It messes with my vision a bit. So I actually prefer the LCD and I've become quite adept at focusing with it... so I wanted the same type of workflow with an Oly body.