E-P2 or E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Mar 31, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I currently have an E-PL1 and am patiently waiting for my E-M5. I was just curious since I was asked by a buddy of mine that wants to take the plunge into m4/3rds.... He wanted to know what body would be best to start out with.... He mentioned that body only E-P2's on ebay are now going for $249.... I am unsure if I should recommend my E-PL1 (which I happen to love) or go with the E-P2 for the price. What are your opinions? Which one is better?
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It mainly comes down to ergonomics/controls. Most people find the E-PL1's controls to be annoying - no dials for aperture/shutter speed and so on.

The E-P2 certainly looks slicker (and it has an aluminum finish, whereas the E-PL1 is mostly polycarbonate).

On the other hand, the E-PL1 does slightly better image quality, and a built-in flash, which can sometimes be handy.

Personally, I'd lean toward the E-P2, unless there were a significant price difference.

3. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Don't know which is better, but there are E-PL1's withkit lens on ebay right now for $199 shipped. Factory refurbished with 1 year warantee. Sounds like a great entry price point to me...
  4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    If you have any interest in flash photography, or want to use old manual focus lenses, then the E-PL1, no question.
  5. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I was in a similar situation just a few weeks ago. I got the e-pl1 just by virtue of it being much cheaper when bought used. I also have the em-5 preordered so this is just a temporary fix for me.
  6. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Just curious, but why recommend e-pl1 over e-p2 for shooting manual lenses? I've been shooting with OM glass on my E-P2 for a year before I started buying native lenses, and never had any trouble? Is there anything about the e-pl1 that makes it better with manual glass?
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I've owned both and still have the EP2; great camera and IQ is basically the same in real life situations. Great handling.
  8. Vespaboy

Vespaboy New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2012
    Can you explain the logic of that statement ?
  9. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    E-P2 has no pop up flash, which means no easy built in wireless triggering of Olympus RC flashes.
  10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Yes, you can get to a magnified view for focusing on the E-PL1 with a single button press.
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's what I think and why I bought one. Heck at that price you could almost throw away the body and just keep the lens. BTW they also have the 45-150 lens for $159! I bought both together and my total with free shipping was $358.95.
  12. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    I have never used an E-P2, but I loved my E-PL1...handled great and was very impressed with the image quality.
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got my E-PL1 today!:biggrin:

The battery didn't have much of a charge on it but enough to test it to make sure it worked. I now have the battery on the charger. can't wait to fully test it out! For sure it will get used to shoot my nieces and nephew this Sunday as they hunt for eggs.
  14. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Well, i had this 1st bad experience shipping by ups for my E3 which till today its been 5days hold by local customs that i'm gonna used to photo hunting tomorrow.

So i'll using my E-PL1 using 14-54 & zuiko 65-200.....to catch a Cow Race, any preference type of setting to optimized ?

Same annual event, its called "Pacu Jawi" or Cow Race, this taken with my previous E520+Zeiss Jena 75-300

• Like Like x 1
  15. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    What a pleasant surprise, it sold again mh epl1, now I had the oportunity to borrow ep3 to catched those cow on race

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1|E-3