E-P2 - Newbie to this camera, needs help.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kathie, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Kathie

Kathie New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2016
    Kathie
    (Note: I in error posted this thread to the wrong forum and it was suggested that I post my concern here in this Olympus Cameras forum. What I wrote follows and I thank you in advance for your patience): "I need help. I bought a E-P2 (used), and the salesperson set up the exposure button (to the right of the shutter button, in case I am not calling this button by the correct name) to serve as a toggle between auto focus and manual focus. I am a newbie to this particular model camera! I have searched the manual and on the Internet as to how to simply do this toggle. Can someone please advise? I unwittingly did something to lose the setting. I have used this camera for about 2 weeks now, without any mishap - but tonight, I upset the apple cart. Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give to me." Of course, I can always go back to the store for help, but when I could not find a solution that works on the Internet, I thought of researching a forum such as this one. I know I am missing something, and am not afraid to admit this - and I figure the only dumb question, is the unasked one! Thank you!! And if I am not clear on my question, I will gladly give more information!

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The manual (pg 93) seems to indicate you have to go into the Menu and, pick the button you want to change the function for and then set it to MF. I've got an E-P1 which is very similar but I've never programmed the Exposure Comp button in this way - hopefully the screenshots below get you going in the right direction.

Attached Files:

3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Hi, Kathie. Welcome to the forum.

I used to have the camera, but I don't anymore. In my copy of the manual, I don't see any way to assign a new function to the exposure compensation button (on the top deck to the right of the shutter release). However, the left arrow on the rear control dial has AF next to it, and by default you can press that to change the focus mode. If that button has a different function assigned to it, you might want to reset the camera to its factory settings (as I always do with a new camera), or if your dealer helped you set the camera up you may need his help.

4. Kathie

Kathie New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2016
    Kathie
    Thank you phigmov. I revisited the pages of the manual too many times!!! :) and did not find what I was hoping to find. And reason being, as I can see by RichardB's reply, (and I agree - thank you Richard), that the manual doesn't show a way to assign a new function to the exposure compensation button. In my Internet travels, I tripped across something that indicated that not everything is in the manual. I am really scratching my head on this one, and I think my best course of action is to go back to the store. I am in luck too!!!! I bought this camera from one of the salesmen a couple of weeks ago - and he set up this function for me. Worked flawlessly until last night when I noticed it was gone (and I remember moving the main dial to set the shutter speed, and I fumbled with it {it is tricky for me, so different from my other cameras, E-m1 and E-m10}). I did not deliberately go into any settings to change what I call the "toggle" function for auto/manual focus by use of the exposure comp. button. I will go to the store today (that's the plan) and find out how to do this. I will take notes! In closing I thank you both again! [update] I forgot to add that I will write back to let you know the steps needed to set this button up as a toggle.

5. Kathie

Kathie New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2016
    Kathie
    Well...here's the scoop. I had a nagging feeling that I got my cameras mixes up. I use all 3, with my favorite lens on each. So I went to the store and the salesman confirmed what was said here about no option to assign the exposure compensation to another function. And he said don't feel too bad, this can happen when you are using all 3 cameras! This is what I call a major senior moment!! This camera (the E-P2) is infrared only (the sensor was modified) and the other night, I used the E-M10 to take night pictures of the same building that I had taken pictures of during the daytime with the infrared camera. And with the other 2 cameras, I have the buttons to the right of the shutter button set up to toggle between auto and manual focus! I would often hit the video record button in error, and took care of that issue with the reassignment of that function. So...the fire is out! And I thank you both for your help and suggestions.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Why don't you just set it to S-AF+M then you don't have to use a switch at all. Problem solved.

7. Kathie

Kathie New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2016
    Kathie
    I did trip across this in the manual. If what you suggest will do the following, then I will say it is a GREAT SUGGESTION and INDEED MY PROBLEM WILL BE RESOLVED!!!! So bear with this newbie!!!! Using S-AF+M: will the camera be in manual mode at the time I press the shutter button??? I do most of my photography at night, in the dead of night, using spot focus a lot, then switch to manual mode to make any final manual adjustments (if needed) and then finally depress the shutter button. I will await your reply. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!! ~ K

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    The camera is always in AF, unless you turn the focus dial which overrides it to manual for adjustment. You can add magnification as a default if you need that as well.

9. Kathie

Kathie New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2016
    Kathie
    Thank you for your quick reply. Many times (at night, for example: having a city skyline with street lights in the distance a few miles away), after adjusting the focus with the focus dial, at the time I go to take the picture, AF tries to focus - and all gets blurry resulting in big globs of light. Hence my technique has been to put the camera in manual mode (just before I take the picture) so that this does not happen. With the new models of the Olympus, there is no issue with toggling (as explained earlier). From what I learned from the salesman (who also is the previous owner of the infrared camera), I will have to turn the main dial to put into manual focus (and that main dial is awkward/touchy at times). Thank you for sharing with me very good information, I have learned more!

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You may also want to check your focus lock settings. There is one that basically won't allow the shutter to fire if the lens is out of focus or I believe you can lock your focus and then make adjustments to composition/exposure using the AEL buttom (or change the AEL settings/exposure priority). I had an EPM2 a while back, so I don't recall how different some things are to the EM5, EM1, and some I have not played with, but I know you can reverse from what I use as standard. Sounds like what you are shooting is not your everyday thing.

You may also want to consider using one of the lenses with a manual focus clutch like the 17mm F1.8 or 12-40mm F2.8.