E-P2 live view display concern

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JoeFriday, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    hey guys and girls,

I've only had my E-P2 for a day now, so I'm just getting used to it. But I already have a question. Whenever I'm using the camera in low light conditions, the live view display (in either the EVF or the LCD) is filled with a lot of white 'noise', very reminiscent of a tv set that needs its rabbit ears tweaked. It doesn't show up on photos at all, but it's a bit surprising to see as I've never noticed that on any other camera.

Is this common or do I have a defective camera?

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
  3. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I switched it off right after posting the question, and it helped a little, but the noise is still apparent in low light. So this is typical? I can live with it, but if no one else experiences it, I'd like to get it taken care of.

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Its typical of live view m43 cams, main thing is that AF works :smile::wink:

5. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks. That's reassuring. I really am pleased with the camera, and AF works fine. So I'll stop focusing on that (ha) and get busy with picture taking.

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    How low is the lighting?

Are you using a manual lens, or the Kit lens?

I can use my EP2 at ISO 1600, F1.4, and 1/15th with the Nikkor. Nikki at the skating rink using "Disco-Lights".

Love that Avatar.