1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P2 LCD "Rain" Noise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by carpandean, Nov 2, 2010.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Been reading this forum for a bit in anticipation of buying a micro-4/3 camera. Well, I took the plunge and bought a new E-P2 w/ 17mm/f2.8 from a highly rated Ebay seller. I like a lot about the camera, but I have one big question/complaint (depending on if it is normal or not) about it.

When I first took it out and fired it up (after charging the battery, of course), it was in the late evening, so the lighting was from CFLs and not particularly bright. The first thing that I immediately notice, especially when I make the image bright (not just high ISO, but even low ISO with long shutter opening), the noise on the screen is ridiculously noticeable. It's long vertical noise that makes it look like it's raining. Kind of reminds me of the computer screens in the Matrix, but in full color and no letters. By contrast, with my G12, there is a little bit of pixel "shaking" (for lack of a better term) in lower light situations, but it is far less noticeable. I haven't tried it in bright light yet, but I'm not sure I can handle how bad it is in not too unusual, lower light situations.

So, here's my question: is this normal or should I return it as defective?

Side note: any way to turn off or dim that green light around the on/off button when it's on? Really kills that retro look.

2. andy_jansen

andy_jansen Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    Hi,

I have an E-PL1 and got the same thing. Although the "rain" is not noticable on PC, just on the LCD of the camera.

You can get it a bit better with changing the white balance, but it won't disappear.

Note: My Olympus 14-42mm has a lot more " rain" then my panasonic 20mm.

3. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Based on Live view the image on the LCD or in the VF-2 will be enhanced so even in dark circumstances you will still be able to see the picture.
    Upside: even in the darkest places you will be able to compose and do a "eyes on" judgement (sort of)
    Downside: Noisy banding.
    It´s a fact we all have to live with. Luckily most of the picture taking by most of the users is done in daylight, so not a real issue.

If it annoys you to much and you shoot raw, change the settings of the OOC jpeg´s to monochrome. At least that will give you a somewhat more pleasant view to look at. Hope this helps.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Thanks. At least I know it's not malfunctioning. I'll try it in brighter light to see how it compares.

So far, I'm completely torn as to whether I like the E-P2 or not.

5. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    My E-PL1 LCD and VF-2 look the same way too in dim light. Turning off the LCD Gain helps some, but it's still there. It's just something you have to either live with on these cameras. The good thing is, that the photos look great and won't have this noise when you preview them. So just preview the photo if you want to see how it really looks.