E-P2 ISO loves to jump up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noodlehaus, Mar 15, 2010.

1. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Anyone else notice that when doing night/indoor shooting with the E-P2, it seems to love going for the highest ISO it's allowed to use, even with sufficient lighting? I did a test against the GF1 using the same lens (Pana 20mm f1.7) and while with the GF1, it's able to focus and take the shot at around ISO ~640, the E-P2 used my max ISO setting of 800 (this is my cap).

Or do you set the ISO yourself?
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for posting this thread. The differences in ISO may be a software issue.
    I can't test, got just one G1 at home, which belongs to my wife...
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I generally use Auto ISO in Shutter Priority mode with legacy lenses - this way I decide the Aperture (on the lens barrel) and Shutter speed, apply any EV compensation necessary and let the camera choose the necessary ISO... other than that, I decide on Aperture and Shutter speed first, and then see what sort of ISO I need to get a good exposure.

If you're concerned about the automation doing something you don't want... take a little more control.

Having said that, iAUTO is a wonderful thing... forget about everything, point frame and shoot and relax - it does very well indeed for 'non-photography enthusiasts' :smile: