1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-p2 in the mail

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dylandingo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    So I just ordered an Olympus e-p2 today with the 20mm pancake lens. I owned the e-pl1 for a very short time but the sd card slot broke and the people at best buy were practically useless so they gave me a Panasonic GF2 that I ended up hating and returning. But now I have the e-p2 coming and I was wondering if any of you guys had an advice on legacy lenses that are somewhat affordable.

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Congratulations... I'm sure you got a nice deal at this point. As far as legacy lenses go, your best bet might be to start by looking for used micro four-thirds lenses. They would provide the best performance and the least amount of compatability issues.

After that, look at Olympus four-thirds (as opposed to micro four thirds) lenses. With an adaptor, you pretty much get full functionality - including auto focus and full metering - even if perhaps a bit slower than with a native micro four-thirds lens.

3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I'm not sure how it is in the US, but in Europe m42 (aka Pentax Screw) mount lenses are very plentiful and many are good and can be found cheap...

Since you can get cheap adaptors on EBay for almost any common mount, my suggestion would be to troll the thrift stores and flea markets and see what you come up with . In those places you will get much better lens deals than on the Bay

4. Andrew Riddell

Andrew Riddell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2010
    London
    The FT kit 40-150 with adaptor balances very well on the EP-2 and is little heavier or bulkier than th MFT version.

Andrew

5. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks, I have a FD adapter and an old Canon 50mm 1.8 that I took off my Canon AL-1 but I never got to use it on my e-pl1 because the screen was too bad to focus with. Do you guys use the vf-2 or vf-3 or do you have another method for focusing with legacy lenses?

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have no EVF for my E-PM1 but I had the VF-2 with the E-PL1 for a while. For manual focusing, I personally found the VF-2 a must-have.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Good choice. Very beautiful and excellent camera. I own it and would never imagine that I use it more than my E-pl2.

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    For manual focus VF2 is absolutely necessary IMHO.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also have the Canon FD 50 1.8 and you'll take some great pictures out of it.:thumbup:

10. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I myself have no serious problem focusing on the LCD screen of my E-PL1, even easier on my E-P1... with shorter focal lengths I do not even need to use the magnified view. Since obviously others here do not find it so easy, I suggest you try it without for awhile then see if you really need to get a VF

11. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Alright, thanks for the advice. Maybe after the holiday season I'll have to pick up the vf-2. I am kind of thinking about picking up some soviet lenses around then too since they're fairly cheap and some people seem to have some luck with them. I'll have to let you guys know how it goes once the camera comes in but I am sure I'll love it and my back will enjoy not having to carry around my dslr bag everywhere.

12. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    mind what Soviet lenses you grab or you might negate the weight advantage-- the (optically excellent) 200mm Jupiter 21M, for example weighs, I believe 990 grams-- that is well over two pounds, translated to American! The shorter focal length lenses are not so scary but most tend to be massive, solid, metal-- remember most SLR mounts will add some length too-- one suggestion I might make is that, for the ones that are available, the Soviet lenses made for m39 aka: Leica Thread Mount rangefinder cameras are more compact and the m39 RF adapters are also shorter/more compact

13. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Yeah I was planning on sticking to the m39 mounts. And I tend to only shoot wide angle and short telephoto so with the 2x crop factor I'm thinking I won't end up going past 50mm or so. Any advice on what m39 adapter to pick up or where to get one? I'm thinking the industar 69 would be nice because the 28mm would translate into about 56mm, wish I could find something wider but the others I've seen have big pieces of glass that shoots out the back and it doesn't look like it would fit without hitting the sensor or atleast the area around it.

14. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    industar 69 is about the only shorter focal length m39 lens commonly available. Note that to get it to focus right, you have to make some minor mods (google it and you should find that info) since it was made for the Chaika half frame camera with a different distance to focal plane than the typical leica-like RFs. Even in the m42's and other commonly circulating lenses, you don't see much shorter than 28mm. Beware that you cannot use the Jupiter 12 (also 28mm) because the elements in back stick out too far. I would suggest you consider at least getting a Jupiter 8 (50mm f2) which is a really nice lens. The industar 22, 26, and 50-2 models are all nice 50mm lenses as well. The Mir 1 (or Mir 1v and Mir 1sh) is also a very nice lens, usually m42 but be aware that the 39mm mounts of those are for early Zenit SLRs and have a different distance to focal plane from the m39 RF lenses-- it will screw on but not get to infinity focus. If you want to try some longer focal length lenses, I could give you all sorts of recommendations.

15. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks for all the advice. I have to wait on the vf-2 and new lenses till after the holidays but I just got the p2 and panasonic 20mm 1.7 and I am loving it. Only really downer about it is the screen still isn't up to par with even a lot of lower end cameras when it's in lower light situations but I guess that is where the vf-2 comes in. I do have a birthday coming up in early December so maybe I'll be able to get my hands on the vf-2 sooner but no lenses.

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm sure you'll enjoy like I'm enjoying mine more than the E-pl2.

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats on the great new kit! Did you get the black/gray or silver E-P2?

18. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I got the black/gray one, I like it being not so flashy for when I go out on the streets